Mother names children Metallica, Slayer, and Pantera

Yeah, most people just associate it with the band and don’t know the origins. It’s one of those weird ways that language changes.

4 Likes

No “Hot Tuna?”

2 Likes

Are we including Metallica in the “heaviest bands”? Meh?

2 Likes

Kill 'Em All is pretty damn heavy for 40 years ago.

1 Like

6 Likes

I grew up in a ‘hippy colony’ (well, it was late 70s, but still). I’ve met loads of those. My own parents luckily gave me a somewhat normal (though slightly old-fashioned) name, but most of my childhood friends were given ‘unique’ names. All but one now use either a nickname now or officially changed their names and most thoroughly hated their names during highschool.

So our differing experiences probably gave us differing opinions on this matter :wink:

1 Like

tumblr_od5zt4hlXl1qm2l53o1_250

4 Likes
2 Likes

“These are my sons, Ted Zeppelin, Ned Zeppelin, Fred Zeppelin, and Zed Leppelin Wlordarkiewicz.”

9 Likes

I have a first cousin named Libby Luna Dolphin, but she grew up around Santa Cruz so it’s probably not such an unusual naming convention there.

3 Likes

A euphemistic name for the sex trafficking portion of Nazi concentration camps?

Yeah, not exactly well known history.

5 Likes

Yep. You say Joy Division and most people think of the band and the tragedy of Ian Curtis’ life and young death.

Joy Division Dance GIF by hoppip

Honestly, I don’t know if that’s problematic or not? If it’s successful recontextualization or if it’s gross recontextualizing?

8 Likes

I actually didn’t know about them at all until befriending you, which made me go look them up… which is where I learned the origins of the band name, because they used to call themselves ‘Warsaw.’

I don’t think the name is problematic because it’s not like they encourage that mentality, and as you said its obscure enough now…

9 Likes

I agree… though at the time, they got some neo-nazis at their shows. But then again, that happened to lots of punk and postpunk bands in the late 70s and early 80s.

8 Likes

That worked for Anthony Philip David Terry Frank Donald Stanley Gerry Gordon Stephen James Oatway.

His first name is Anthony Philip David Terry Frank Donald Stanley Gerry Gordon Stephen James, not Anthony.

6 Likes

Or just be like most parents and call the second and third children The Other Two

2 Likes

I have always liked the Tony Wilson line from 24-Hour Party people, which I can’t find a direct quote of at the moment but it’s something like him being informed that the press is asking if Joy Division’s name indicates that Factory records supports nazis and him replying “Tell them we also have a band called ‘The Durutti Column’ and see what they fucking make of that”

5 Likes

Good choice not to go by Donald.

4 Likes

Can we look forward to Metallica’s big band swing phase?

Could be worse…

Office Space - Let's see. You are Michael... Bolton?

Or better…

9 Likes

I wouldn’t use Terry or Stanley either.

3 Likes