6 Likes

[…]
The Boring Company calls their tunnels “monorail tunnels”
[…]

5 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

RECALLS

Toyota tells American bZ4X electric crossover owners to park their cars immediately [Updated]

Improperly torqued wheels may fall off

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/06/23/toyota-bz4x-wheel-recall/

6 Likes

So how do they expect drivers to get to shops for a fix?

4 Likes

Flatbed.

5 Likes

Dang, the whole thing this review focused on was how, being from Toyota, this was surely a boring but well-built EV. So an emergency recall already is a major hit to the reputation.

(The other main point of the article is that Bz4x is a terrible model name. Very hard to remember unless you call it “Busy Forks” or think of it as a Star Wars droid.)

4 Likes

I don’t get it. I own a floor jack and a torque wrench. Tell me which bolts to toghten to what spec and I’m back on the road in half an hour.

Confused Katy Perry GIF by Top Talent

8 Likes

It does sound odd.

2 Likes

A totaled Tesla Model S burst into flames in a Sacramento junkyard earlier this month, causing a fire that took “a significant amount of time, water, and thinking outside the box to extinguish,” firefighters said.

The vehicle was involved in a comparably unexplosive accident that sent it to the junkyard three weeks ago – it’s unclear what caused the Tesla to explode nearly a month after being taken off the road. Like other electric vehicle fires, it was very difficult to extinguish.

[…]

5 Likes

Me neither. I’m careful about torquing my wheel nuts every time I swap my winter tires. No big deal.

But on rereading, they talk about “hub bolts”, which must be something else altogether. Something must be unusual about the way the hub is attached to the car, so the whole hub assembly can fall off, not just a wheel. That’s the only explanation for keeping the cars at the dealers “while the issue is being investigated and a fix put in place”.

3 Likes

Even so, the hub bolts are typically just one “layer” in. The cars in question don’t have hub motors, so this is strange.

3 Likes

Negative. I may end up shipping it to my mother to finish off. I have little doubt she won’t end it. If I’m recalling this right, she’s never sold a car, they’ve all died first.

2 Likes

Heh. Toyotas are unkillable. Even if you hate them. I replaced my Lexus is200 with an is220 diesel just before Xmas (the fancy Toyota [apparently my phone doesn’t have a top hat & monocle emoji]), but only because the mechanic told me I might die any time I drove it cos it was thiiiiis close to completely disintegrating. Still drove like a dream though.
And technical Granddaughter hates the new one, cos it doesn’t have leather seats.

My next car has to be electric when this one dies, because of course it does, but I’ll always have a soft spot for a comfy, fast saloon with RWD and a straight six.

What you gonna get if mom rescues you from Stupid Toyota Hell then?

3 Likes

Car security for mum for several more years, and lower insurance premiums for her. A Hilux this car is not, but we’ll see if she can murder it like all the others. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes
3 Likes