'Motors'

The alleged fragment of a HIMARS rocket is a hubcap.

4 Likes

On that topic, some older Subarus also had a pretty bad reputation about changing the oil filter. To get it, you needed to traverse the dreaded “ring of fire”:

Newer Subarus took a page from Toyota’s book and made the oil filter easily accessible from the top of the engine:

6 Likes

It’s also unclear whether truck drivers, who will actually be driving the things, have any interest in them at all. Truckers on social media have been scathing in their critiques of the Tesla Semi, with some saying Tesla appeared to have failed to involve anyone who had spent time in a commercial cab.

One would think that a $3.6B venture would entail focus groups and market research.

3 Likes

I have one like that and one top-loader. The nice thing about the older one is that you can pre-fill the oil filter just prior to installing. I just don’t do an oil change while it’s hot. Draining takes a bit longer, but I installed a drain valve so I just hook up a tube, run it into a milk carton, and leave it for a while.

The only issue I’ve had with the filter nestled among the exhaust manifold is that, on the rare occasion it doesn’t want to come off, it can be a hassle to get a filter wrench in there. Not impossible, but challenging.

3 Likes

Psh, who needs that? Clearly Elon is all knowing.

8 Likes
7 Likes
7 Likes
4 Likes

Two wheels at the front? Seems like it’s got a leg or two up on the Reliant Robin.

4 Likes

You know those were rigged.

7 Likes

Of course they were, as was much of TG’s stunts. Doesn’t make them any less entertaining.

6 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

Please tell us more. I had a boat with a Yanmar and we sucked the oil out through the dipstick tube. For some reason we never got out all the old oil. An oil pan drain valve would have been handy.

2 Likes

Nothing creative or fun. Just a garden-variety Fumoto valve that is made for a number of automotive makes and models:

Aeroquip makes similar products that cost a bit more.

I’m so spoiled by these valves that I won’t do an oil change at home without one. Too much of a mess with the drain plugs.

For vacuum removal, you’ll want one of the valves that has a nipple and accepts 3/8” tubing.

5 Likes

Thanks! I was not aware of these.

Now I have a ridiculous car for which the oil pan drain plug crush gaskets are about 10 to 15 CAD each. I’d love to permanently avoid that cost.

ETA I may eventually electrify and not have to do oil changes!

4 Likes

Woody Harrelson Wtf GIF

6 Likes

Yeah, mostly the mandatory shipping from the UK. I’ve asked a few local mechanics to find me replacements. Not a big priority for them. I’d post a shot of a proforma order but their server is down.

ETA, good phiphe!

1 Like

You can’t just make one out of cardboard?

2 Likes