'Motors'

should have bought these last week

burlak-lkw-große-reifen-für-arktis-expeditionen-geeignet-370x208

6 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes

Ice driving is part of the Finnish driving school. Best bit was when teacher pulls the handbreak and you have keep the car straight. Sitting on the backseat when somebody fuck’s it up feels like a amusement ride.

10 Likes

You might still have time to buy this:

5 Likes

I was too slow with the camera, but earlier today I saw a DeLorean.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s the Ann Arbor DeLorean, it disappeared about 10 years ago?

4 Likes

Spin License Plate GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

4 Likes

This one was stock… The stainless steel did look about 40 years old.

1 Like
3 Likes

6 Likes

So was the DeLorean that used to cruise around here. :woman_shrugging: @DukeTrout may have found the correct explanation. :thinking:

3 Likes
8 Likes

The re-engining really is an interesting problem. If you were to replace each engine couplet with a single high-bypass commercial engine they would be so low as to interfere with the bomb doors full extension. If you were to extend the landing gear to regain the clearance you need then the wheel wells would have to expand, limiting the bomb bay capacity.

The B-52 uses the same engines as the Boeing 707.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Ah! Well that answers that question, “why not a single turbofan?” Though I know I’ve seen a photo of this - a single 747(?) turbofan in place of a dual pod. But that may have been on the outer pylon, where ground clearance was slightly higher (or does the B-52 have anhedral wings?).

2 Likes

The B-52 wings flex like crazy based on the fuel load. With a full fuel load the arcraft has wingtip wheels to keep them off the ground. There really is no clearance to speak of.

7 Likes

Well now that I dug a little deeper, apparently Boeing & P&W used a B-52 to test the engine for the 747.

I’m sure there was at least one proposal for replacing the 8 engines with 4 turbofans, but I don’t see how it would have worked (as your picture shows; not without inverting the wings), and I’m surpised it even worked for a test.

6 Likes

There is clearnce to hang a turbofan on the inboard wing root, but then your interfering with loading operations. In your picture they werent bothered about loading bombs. Also im sure the airforce wouldnt want to maintain two different engine types on the same aircraft. They’ve done that before!

7 Likes
4 Likes