Tom Cruise GIF by Team Coco

4 Likes

25fc2135b61732ca0add6c6b03dff625

3 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

Come Here Taraji P Henson GIF by Emmys

4 Likes

Sonic booms weren’t the only issue. Back at uni our vibrations prof got several of us weekend (leading to summer) jobs measuring Concorde noise levels as they landed at JFK; an environmental impact study for the feds. Since we’d have to be absolutely 100% ready to operate in-place equipment located at several locations along the landing path (field calibrations, downloading of micro-computer data from overnight landing activity, etc.) there would also be a lot of downtime before the actual landings. That gave us students a chance to casually compare what other airline landings sounded like compared to the Concordes. Big fat difference. The Concorde’s already super-loud Olympus engines were comparatively more “direct” and harsher than other aircraft (ex: 747) and seemed to be right the hell on top of you sooner relative to your particular location as the a/c approached. No other way to describe it. Even if they had solved the sonic-boom problem back then, I still wonder how many lawsuits would have been filed by enraged Queen’s residents near JFK back then if Concorde had gotten the green light for JFK service. (Looked absolutely gorgeous flying right overhead though.)

5 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like
4 Likes

Everyone keeps reinventing the train and the bus.

9 Likes

I think this time they are reinventing the driver.

7 Likes

We’re getting that fry-day feeling… US Army gets hold of drone-cooking microwave rig

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m less concerned about them cooking equipment… :grimacing:

2 Likes
2 Likes

:thinking: