'Motors'

3 Likes

Obligatory - TETSUOOOOOOO

3 Likes
5 Likes

The fact that there are now multiple electric “crate motor” kits available off-the-shelf is cool, but they’re of limited use until someone starts selling powerful, light and affordable battery systems that can be configured to fit into older cars. Hard to just shoehorn a Nissan Leaf battery pack (or, ideally one with even more range) into an old car. But we’ll get there eventually, I’m sure.

Edit to add, this story goes over some of those challenges pretty well:

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2021/08/23/fordse-crate-electric-motor-eluminator

3 Likes

One thing to note, though, is that there’s a large space where the no-longer-needed fuel tank went. But yes, the hard part of any such conversion is going to be dealing with the batteries. The GM electric crate motor package includes the battery pack, but it still weighs 1,000 pounds, and you have to figure out how to fit it. Easy for something like a Blazer, but not so much for electrifying an X-1/9.

1 Like

KANEDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

3 Likes

Watch A Dude With A 3-Wheel Motorcycle Do Something Breathtakingly Stupid At A Skate Park

6 Likes

I’d very much like a Jag XJ-12 with one of their crate motor/battery pack combos where the V12 used to be, but I only have used winter beater money :unamused:

4 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

Fantasize about street-legal F1? Got ya covered!

PS: Looks more F4 than F1 based on the re-engineering… but any driver really shouldn’t complain.

4 Likes

Is the plural of the Plymouth Fury Plymouth Furies? Furys? Plymouths Fury?

Nicks

gpo me samuel l jackson GIF

6 Likes

Laser technology tackles brake disc emissions

4 Likes
5 Likes

I don’t get it. The disks aren’t the harmful part of the brake particulate. It’s the pads. This doesn’t seem to address pad wear as the primary source of brake particulates.

Am I missing something?

3 Likes
4 Likes

You’ve basically answered your own question. The pads are the primary source of brake particulates, the disks are the secondary source. They are both harmful.
Pad wear has gotten a little less harmful since using asbestos in them was banned, only time will tell what effects the substitutes for asbestos might have, and they still generate lots of particulatess anyway.
But as far as I know little to nothing was done as yet to address disc wear. Maybe not a big breakthrough, but every little bit helps.
Granted, the most interesting effect is the weight reduction (which will promptly be eaten up by adding more superfluous gadgets to cars, but…) and that they’ll probably last longer.

I’m not sure I buy the ‘EVs hardly need to use their brakes’ bit. Considerable less than ICE-powered cars, yes, but by that much? My very limited experience with EVs is driving around town in an E-Smart one a month in terrain that is quite hilly, and I find that I really need the brakes. I’m big on anticipatory driving, but gravity is gravity.

Anyway, if EVs spew less particulate it’s another big pro for them.

5 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes