'Motors'

Am I today’s person who mistook parody for reality?
Sorry! It’s hard to tell the difference between caping for Musk and parody.

1 Like

When serious commentary is so full of stupid shit, it’s hard to tell the difference between parody and reality…

4 Likes

For now, PennDOT requires two operators or safety attendants in the vehicle when the AV system is running, Pilipowskyj said. The operator in the driver seat stops the shuttle to let people on or off, helps disabled passengers — something the AV system can’t do — and can take over as driver as needed.

Once two operators have driven the shuttle for a specified number of hours, PennDOT will allow it to run with just one.

Will it ever run without any human attendant? “That will probably depend more on Pennsylvania law and what PennDOT says is allowable and appropriate,” Pilipowskyj said.

3 Likes

Poe’s Law

1 Like

season 6 boating buddies GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

2 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

Lordstown Motors to pay $25M in SEC settlement over misleading investor claims

Bankrupt electric truck maker Lordstown Motors Corp will have to pay out $25 million to shareholders, settling SEC claims it misled investors and broke anti-fraud and reporting rules in US federal securities laws.

Lordstown, which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in Delaware federal court in June last year, had told the investors it received 27,000 “pre-orders” from fleet customers, “representing $1.4 billion in potential revenue” for its flagship Endurance electric pickup truck.

But the feds claimed in a settled order filed yesterday [PDF] that the company had exaggerated the demand. The agency said while Lordstown had “stated on several occasions that its pre-orders were from, or ‘primarily’ from commercial fleets, in fact many pre-orders were obtained from fleet management companies … and so-called ‘influencers’.”

[…]

2 Likes
2 Likes

Sort-of follow-up:

1 Like
2 Likes

Apparently Toad and Track only left Kate “McMansion” Wagner’s article up for a couple of hours!

5 Likes

That was excellent

4 Likes

I was shocked that F1 cars are apparently quiet. I thought they were ear splittingly loud.

2 Likes

That’s dragsters. I never go to an NHRA event without serious ear protection!

3 Likes
4 Likes

What’s lost in the middle of that article is that for lower cars, a low hood is also deadly to pedestrians. The lethality isn’t from the strike to the legs, it from the pendulum effect accelerating the head into the hood. As such, manufacturers are making sedans and coupes with higher hoods inorder to increase the distance between the hood and the engine to create a “softer” deceleration zone.

When did they leave?

6 Likes

When looking at reviews there’s plenty of feedback that more issues have been resolved with hybrids, as a more mature option than EVs. Given the recent backlash against electric vehicles in the press, part of me wonders if this isn’t somehow motivated by Big Oil. I’m sure that industry would prefer to continue sales at a lower level, instead of having consumption completely cut off. :thinking: I guess when the demand for fuel drops, we’ll see if prices fall or remain high (along with oil industry profits). In the past, they would blame a series of accidents to claim there were inventory/supply problems that justified increasing prices.

4 Likes