'Motors'

Cruise swerves to hire safety guru after series of misadventures on the streets

3 Likes
3 Likes

Honestly I saw “vet to oversee safety…” as being something to do with putting them down humanely.

I’d take that.

4 Likes

:checkered_flag:

5 Likes

I remember those dimly…

I can’t help it, I think the Matra Rancho owes a thing or two to the Altra Camping Car fom Trafic.

2 Likes

No love for the Subaru Brat?

Allegedly, they are releasing a new one!

6 Likes

Just keep an eye on the oil level!*

*Like just about any vehicle, of course

2 Likes

Newer Subies don’t have the headgasket problems the old ones did. Why, I only check the oil level on mine hourly… :wink:

5 Likes

Yeah we had an '01 Forester that used a fair amount of oil; not an inordinate amount, but the mechanic said “well, it’s a Subaru.” :man_shrugging: But I had a '00 Honda Accord that used/lost oil from the day I bought it (now I’d have the better sense to have brought it back to the dealer). Replaced the engine on it after 10 or 11 years and that one went thru the oil, too. That was just 1 car (tho w/ 2 engines) but it soured my perception of Hondas as being very reliable. (Well, that and the main relay shutting off due to poor solder flow from the factory - reflowed the solder joints myself & never had that prob. again - but no fun to randomly lose power/ignition on, say, the Capital Beltway)

Meanwhile we have a '15 Crosstrek and a '20 Forester, & I think I’ve had to top off the oil in the former exactly once. :crossed_fingers:

More disconcerting was how the old Forester, if it got very very cold, would give off gas fumes because the fuel line seals (I’d read) would do that if the temperature was too cold.

1 Like

That reminds me of my high school chemistry teacher who, in the tradition of the best science teachers, had built his own car; a Dutton Sierra (Sierra from Dutton) which bore a startling resemblance.

I also discovered the Dutton Legerra, which I had never heard of, but now want very much: Legerra from Dutton

3 Likes

Should be quite nimble with the V6.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I think, with a V6, it would probably be at least as dangerous as a TVR. I still want one.

2 Likes

Boeing-backed air taxi upstart Wisk plans to fly you across town at UberX prices by 2030

Boeing-backed autonomous aircraft startup Wisk expects to be operational by the end of the decade, at which time it will provide customers with air taxi at a price point comparable to an UberX ride, according to APAC VP Catherine MacGowan.

[…]

v2IoAt

5 Likes

Rivian decimates staff to put a brake on spending

1 Like

I hope they can hold on until they get the R2 out.

1 Like
1 Like

Meanwhile, the VA prepares for more finger amputees among discharged soldiers…

2 Likes

That’s a really dumb, gushing article. Just to take two random points: why have a vehicle designed around cabin space for humans as your uncrewed platform? The “millions of hours” of real world data in the sort of but not really self driving mode are surely, utterly useless for combat.

And so on. Maybe there’s something there but it won’t look like that.

PS no armies have used Tommy Guns in forever.

4 Likes

You mean it’s not a parody? :hushed:

2 Likes