'Motors'

I think you & I are on the Beltway at very different times :grin: But it does seem like traffic enforcement is barely existent around here, compared to other places I’ve lived/driven. Cameras have helped in the 500-foot stretches of road where they’re located.

(ETA: I’m fortunate that I don’t have to take the Beltway all that often. But I expect to stop/creep for a while when I do.)

1 Like

Oh god yeah. You can’t get killed (usually) in the city center and even the burbs not so much because speed is lowwww. A lot of residential areas with high traffic are 30kph and anyway, the cycling and pedestrian infrastructure is designed to minimise speeding. They’ve done a lot of work on this since lockdown during covid showed that only the amount of traffic was stopping people mowing down pedestrians at speed. There are great improvements on pedestrian priorities on road crossings (rather than waits) including assuming you can cross two roads at once in a crossroads and thus making legal, safe crossing where there wasn’t before.

Rural Ireland is a no go area for walking. If I go out for a run I just trespass on everyone’s private lanes. The public road is a nightmare of speeding and no concept of a right side of the road.

Dublin wasn’t terrible to be a pedestrian in before but it’s much better now.

Road deaths are instead caused by ridiculous machines and the complete abdication of enforcement by the Gardaí. Cameras enforcing bus lanes, signals, and speeding are the one thing, the very only single thing, that involves collection of personal data that the coppers are concerned is a civil liberty issue. Hence rising homicide and fuck them.

And I do always single out that woman who was killed by a wank panzer driver at Christmas on a shopping street you can never get to 10kph on because he didn’t see her over his fashionable crucifixion bonnet. And the outcomes from being hit by those at low speed can be utterly catastrophic.

3 Likes

Watch Michèle Mouton React To Her Victory At The 1982 Acropolis Rally For The First Time

5 Likes

I never watch videos with “reaction face” as the start. Hers though, that i did watch!

Imagine if all YT reaction videos had her dignified good humour!

2 Likes

And many of us will hop that fence.

An extreme example of “Paths of Desire” which perhaps should be renamed “Paths of Necessity” when vehicle infrastructure impedes Paths of Desire.

Also, slow speed interactions are rife with danger. Parking lots are dangerous places once humans are out of their cars. Sort of a flesh vs metal “last mile” problem.

1 Like

[China’s Xiaomi joins the crowded EV race with ‘dream car’ to take on Tesla | CNN Business]

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/28/business/chinas-xiaomi-ev-launch-intl-hnk/index.html

[NEW Xiaomi SU7 SHOCKS The ENTIRE Industry! - YouTube

3 Likes

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

Thank U GIF by chuber channel

4 Likes

[Makita flying air blower #short #shortvideo #shorts #tiktok #tiktokindia #viraltiktok
youtube.com)]

[FLYING Leaf Blower RC airplane Mk2 (youtube.com)]

8 Likes

In most of Europe steel fences are not considered best practice to protect pedestrians. Lorries have a tendency to kill cyclists on them.

3 Likes
7 Likes
7 Likes

I am trying to tidy up, dammit. I have Stuff to do. Don’t go showing me this.

9 Likes

That’s a general BB feature and bug all at once.

2 Likes

Elon’s Offering, But Automakers Aren’t Interested In Licensing Tesla’s Full Self-Driving System

4 Likes

ETA:
f0ed362682fded207f2f28f5a52bc78a-ezgif.com-optimize

Shake it out?

5 Likes

Good to know, thanks! I was on the road during this morning’s quake in the PA/NJ/DE area, but didn’t feel it. This part jumped out at me, though:

move out of the way of traffic and stop your car away from any overpasses, light posts, or trees, and if you’re on a bridge, do not stop on the bridge

Overpasses and bridges are much easier to avoid on local roads than light posts or trees around here! :grimacing:

5 Likes
6 Likes

Those taking public transport in the tech hub of San Francisco may be reassured to know that their rides will soon no longer be dependent on floppy disks.
[…]
And before folks start panicking, it’s worth remembering that use of floppy disks is not uncommon in embedded systems. Bear in mind that the US nuclear arsenal ran off eight-inch floppies until 2019. It’s the way stuff was done when these systems were built last century.
[…]

4 Likes

Any news re your subie’s windshield condition (crack development) and or seals?