'Motors'

Musk’s possible reasoning… from the patently absurd to the practical:

• Sabotage his competitors’ vehicles.
  • Muskian brainfart.
  • Fishing for a partner (a la Toyota and Subaru) who could improve Tesla vehicle build quality.
  • Benefit from hypothetical licensing agreement that competitors’ improvements/fixes to Tesla’s software be shared with Tesla and no one else.
  • Needs the money.
2 Likes
2 Likes

New Alfa Romeo Milano Electric SUV Is A Genius Use Of One Of The Best Automotive Logos

2 Likes

Luxury Overnight Train From SF To LA Is Coming Next Year, And It Could Carry Your Fancy Car

2 Likes

The problem: road wear is dependent on overall usage and vehicle mass*. Damage per vehicle-mile-travelled is linear. Damage per vehicle mass is not:

Fuel taxes are a function of vehicle usage and vehicle efficiency.

Vehicle usage is hopefully self explanatory. Annual vehicle miles traveled (VMT) in the US have increased from 1.5 trillion in 1980 up to 3.1 trillion in 2021. Total miles of highways are also increased in that time by about 10%.

Vehicle efficiency is related to engine size and overall vehicle mass (generally, amongst sundry other factors).

Average vehicle mass increased by a third since the 80s, up to 4,400 lbs in 2023 in the US, vs 3,200 lbs from 1980-1987.

Average vehicle efficiency increased about 30% from about 21 mpg during the 80s up to 27 mpg in 2023.

Explore the Automotive Trends Data | US EPA

So what conclusions can we make? We’re driving more miles and doing more damage per mile and using less fuel to do it, which is both increasing the expense associated with road maintenance while diminishing the (primary?) revenue source to pay for it.

What other options might there be?

• Do nothing and pay for road maintenance out of general governmental taxes as fuel tax revenue decreases (obscure and disconnect usage from direct tax).
  • Implement separate vehicle tax for electric (or non-ICE) vehicles, as suggested in the linked article from PA
  • Jack up gas taxes to cover (maintain ability to charge for usage. not politically popular and shrinking taxpayer base with conversion to hybrid and electric vehicles in coming decades)
  • Implement vehicle mass (weight) tax (incentivize lighter vehicles… though probably also more efficient for any with ICE engines, negatively affecting gas tax. Doesn’t scale with usage. Could key off vehicle usage type (personal vs commercial) as I suspect commercial vehicles tend to be heavier.
  • Invest in bike infrastructure to reduce long-term road maintenance (and healthcare) costs
  • Invest in public transit infrastructure to reduce overall VMT

I’m done nerding out for a mental break from the day - what else might the commentariat suggest doing?

*And yes, studded snow tires in some winter states.

2 Likes
3 Likes

The prototypes will need to be delivered by 2028, with the other four arriving by the time the Merced-to-Bakersfield segment nears operation. All trainsets will need to be tested to reach speeds of up to 242 mph, the Authority said.

4 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes

flying theme song GIF

4 Likes

That might be oversimplifying things when it comes to EVs. Compared to similar vehicles, EVs have lower center-of-gravity due to the common design of putting the batteries low in the vehicle. Road wear would be significantly less for a vehicle with lower CoG than the same mass vehicle. All the hand-wringing about EV mass may be for a nonissue.

3 Likes
4 Likes

I am struggling to understand why that would be.

1 Like

Yeah, that math does not check out to my engineer-brain either. Center of gravity affects handling and driving feel, sure, but it’s the same downward force due to total mass whether it’s high up or low down in the vehicle volume.

1 Like

Okay, okay. Bicycles are not vehicles with engines. But I found the collection of photos of war bikes interesting.

5 Likes

Concrete is strongest in compression, ok in shear, and weak in tension. The static mass of a vehicle doesn’t wear concrete. Shear does. So braking and turning forces are what cause road wear (along with extraneous factors like erosion and foreign objects like loose rocks and metal debris).

A lower CoG reduces the lever arm the moving mass of a vehicle applies to the road. Essentially, anything that causes tire wear causes road wear, as they are opposite sides of the same coin. Vehicles with lower CoG have less tire wear. They also cause less road wear for a given set of tires.

ETA: digging a bit deeper, it appears the vehicles aren’t even the primary cause of road wear. In cold climates, freeze/thaw cycles are. For concrete, water erosion is also higher up the list. Finally, for asphalt roads, petroleum residue causes degradation of the substrate and accelerated wear.

ETA2: Here’s a quote from a civil engineer in charge of road design and construction in the UK: “Shear flow represents more damaging (than compression) form of rutting (in asphalt). It is commonly seen at traffic lights and bus stops.”

3 Likes

Hot take… acceleration, such as from a stop, would induce shear. I’m told electric motors can generate a lotta torque on a dime…

Sure. I think “don’t drive like a dick” is independent from the fuel source, though.

Yet we keep putting heavier, more powerful vehicles in the hands of dicks… “dick-hands drivers ” if you will.