'Motors'

They were loud. LOUD loud. Inside and outside. But absolutely fascinating.
We took one on a family trip from Calais to Ramsgate and back again in the 1970ies.

Another thing beside the fuel costs and the noise and the somewhat cramped interior - which is why some people called it “The Concorde of the Seas” - is: the rubber skirt is only just a bit above whatever surface the craft is hovering over. Meaning the waves of a rough-ish sea will slap against the skirt. Adding to the noise and making the craft pitch, roll and yaw simultaneously in every possible direction. Plus, as it hovers above the sea, it will go up and down with the swell. Oh, and being buffeted by the wind for good measure.
On a calm sea it’s “oh, this is what a maglev must be like”. On a not-calm sea it’s “the novelty fairground ride you can park your car in”.
Fortunately, rough seas in the channel are just a myth.

A bit short on info regarding the museum, but a lot of information about the early development including some very interesting footage, Hovercraft™ then and now, and so on:

8 Likes

All those years and still gorgeous.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Hey, Amigos Americanos. Do you know that you can rent a Tesla Truck for a day in San Francisco? I´d love to read a car review made by @Mindysan33, @NukeML, @FloridaManJefe or @FGD135 (if he travels to the Bay Area)…

8 Likes

Little far for me… I’m way on the other side of this massive landmass!

5 Likes

Maybe, just maybe, BoingBoing could sponsor someone to rent this vehicle…

4 Likes

Who is going to pay for the finger reattachment surgery?

7 Likes

Don’t forget your driving gloves.

10 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes
1 Like

ETA

10 Likes
5 Likes

Wow, I’m glad manufacturers moved on from what sounds like an early, very misguided method to incinerator toilets!
:grimacing:

3 Likes
1 Like

hometoursandotherstuff

15 Likes

I saw a Trident in Whitley Bay yesterday. Ive never seen on IRL before:

10 Likes

We saw two Austin Healeys yesterday in mint condition. I mentioned that, for AHs, two cars constitute an official club in the US…

6 Likes

Your link (via a diversion) led me to this

Phew!
Not really into cars but saucy (whipped up by Pininfarina).

6 Likes

That is glorious.what is it?

2 Likes