'Motors'

6 Likes
7 Likes

Not a Boeing Boeing fail, but a potentially catastrophic ATC oopsie.
And pilots who made the right call, fast.

9 Likes

[Biden imposes 100pc tariffs on Chinese electric cars (telegraph.co.uk)]

[EU hits Chinese EVs with tariffs, drawing rebuke from Beijing | Reuters]

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/eu-impose-multi-billion-euro-tariffs-chinese-evs-ft-reports-2024-06-12/

[Sánchez urges the EU to ‘reconsider’ tariffs on Chinese electric cars, exposing cracks | Euronews]

5 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

Barely related but my neighbour was just mentioning crossing an old school suspension bridge in a vehicle and how drivers were instructed to proceed such that they did not use their brakes. The surge of momentum would make the bridge go all perilous. I wonder how those runway tarmacs weather hard braking?

2 Likes

Do like they did in Austin, until the late 70s or early 80s, & simply build the railroad at-grade across the Interstate!

1 Like
8 Likes

Ya know?! So freakin’ obvious, even before that happened!

2 Likes

Help him solve the mystery? Not with that, as far as my abilities, but as to his pronunciations?

Phonetically, Albany should be ALLbany; and Berkshire should be BerkSHUR.

Helpful site for US (and UK!) pronunciations: Cambridge Dictionary | English Dictionary, Translations & Thesaurus

Anyway, back to motors:

New Carbon Fiber Batteries Could Form the Actual Framework of Cars and Airplanes (goodnewsnetwork.org)

2 Likes

Oh, yeah, I didn’t miss that either.

3 Likes

“Berkshire to Valley Forge. Berkshire to Valley Forge.”

5 Likes

I lived for a while on Detroit’s east side on a street called Devonshire. I was the only one who ever called it DevonSHUR.

3 Likes

Do you pronounce Dequindre and Gratiot correctly, too, just to mess with people? :joy:

4 Likes

Nah - they already think I’m from another planet tophat-biggrin Besides, Dequindre sounds even more ridiculous when prop’ly pronounced! And then there’s Cadieux! Road on the lower east side, locally (and by the family of that name) pronounced KAD-jew.

I love that a member of Detroit’s great Electric Six (they of Gay Bar fame) was called John R. Dequindre tophat-biggrin tophat-biggrin tophat-biggrin

Yes, we’re discussing weirdly pronounced greater Detroit-area road names…like Schoenherr, locally pron. SHAY-nur.

4 Likes

I can’t imagine how one would in US English.

I do love how some American place names codify weird old English mispronunciations of French names. Just as a for example I was reading about one of the Cromwelll’s and realised the de la Warr pavilion in Brighton was of course pronounced “Delaware” (because they would have owned it or something.)

4 Likes

Bully, for you!

2 Likes

I like to say that I do speak a little English tophat-biggrin

4 Likes

2 Likes