Movies that critics hate and audiences love (and vice versa)

Which ‘Sirens’? Which ‘Freaky Friday’? Which ‘King Kong’?

1 Like

There is of course a selection bias in play here. For example, only people who expect to like a dance movie like ‘Step Up’ will go see it, resulting in mostly positive feedback.

2 Likes

Broken links!

Yeah, considering Spy Kids made almost $200 million worldwide, that one seems to have not only gotten high critical praise, but also was widely accepted by audiences (just not the people who choose to review films on RT).

1 Like

You shut your mouth. Empire Records was awesome.

1 Like

I love Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. It was the first kid’s animated movie I’ve seen with a really complete plot, but still maintained ample quantities of silliness that keep kids glued to the screen. I know that may sound like a bad thing to the anti-TV purists out there, but a couple hours of your pre-schooler not incessantly motor-mouthing is a priceless commodity when you desperately need a break.

1 Like

Good example of the outliers being where the real information is.

You are correct! It would be good to indicate a third dimension: NUMBER of reviews. Assuming that there are a small, fixed number of critics but a variable number of people. The dot could be larger or smaller, based on that, and you could see that a big dot in the upper left might have less of a factor of selection bias than a small dot in the upper left, since one might assume that more people reviewing would be a more representative sample of the population…

Or another chart…

FWIW I think The Godfather sucks. I hate all of those movies that glorify gangsters and organized crime - they say nothing to me about my life.

1 Like

Firstly, a movie about something does not always glorify the subject. Secondly, I don’t think The Godfather particularly glorifies any of it… maybe if you were the godfather it would be sweet but there’s many other characters whose stories are not so positive.

Personally they lost me at Godfather 2… just… so… much… unnecessary… backstory.

I doubt I’ll ever be a power hungry meth cook, but Breaking Bad sure was entertaining.

1 Like

“Do you suppose that’s why God lives in the Heavens? Because he lives in fear of His creations?”

Probably my favorite line in a children’s movie.

1 Like

I like The Blacklist… no, I have no aspirations to become a psycho killer or special ops FBI agent.

I also like The Little Mermaid, and have no aspirations to shed my legs, grow gills, swim the depths of the sea and sing sea-shanties with Ursula. Well, that’s not entirely true. I am interested in spearfishing.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.