MTV Unfiltered — Highschool students explain "Freestyle Walking"

Originally published at: MTV Unfiltered — Highschool students explain "Freestyle Walking" | Boing Boing

2 Likes

What’s really nineties about this is the way most of the teachers are obviously in on the joke, which felt hip and ironic at the time, but now looks like a culture so digested by capitalism that even the concept of rebellion is just another niche in the marketplace

4 Likes

Really nothing new.

5 Likes

I remember an article my high school newspaper about freestyle walking written as a joke, but when parkour become popular later, I was wondering why people used a weird name for it. They were the same thing as far as we were concerned in the 90s, joke or not.

1 Like

I was in highschool in the late 90s (class of 00) and my friends and I did freestyle walking during lunch in a particular stairwell. I had a signature move where I would put my hand on the railing and walk across the entryway over a second set of stairs. A friend of mine was very into video editing and filmed us and made a short film that made us look extremely cool for how dorky we were. He eventually moved to LA and became a video editor and even ended up randomly editing a movie I was a featured extra in.

6 Likes

They’re bored teen-age boys, maybe some girls, doing what teenage kids are supposed to do. Act goofy test limits, break a few bones, laugh at themselves and others, short-out some adults. It’s all normal. Life often goes to hell after those brief few years, more power to them, Not nearly enough goofy behavior now.

3 Likes

I talk about this all the time. A joke video that somehow spawned an actual thing. Remember Soap shoes?

This connects a dot from my history. I think I was in middle school or early high school when this aired, but I didn’t see it. A kid I knew, who was just walking around and on things funny, mentioned that freestyle walking was a thing. He wasn’t the only one taken in by the concept. I fully admit to walking out of my way to hop up on a bench or whatever obstacle I could find after that.

Youth is wasted on the young, but it was pretty fun at the time.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.