Museum of Failure: where product flops can finally shine

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/12/museum-of-failure-where-produ.html

2 Likes

Wait, what happened to the OLD Museum of Fail—ooohhhh I get it. Meta.

20 Likes

Hmmm, a litigious New Yorker, recently involved in a high-profile failure…weeee gotcha, West. Wink!

ETA: woah, I was actually just kidding…but…

also, wow. I had somehow legitimately completely forgotten about Google Glass.

10 Likes

He bought two of his failures in a dark alley from vendors who insisted on cash only, but he won’t say which ones.

Oh, that can be dangerous.

4 Likes

Or, as I call it; my living room.

10 Likes

Newton was a failure?

I thought it was a harbinger of the f u t u r e …

9 Likes

If the Museum of Failure fails, it wouldn’t have to do very much to display itself.

4 Likes

You might be thinking of Enron.

11 Likes

I suggested a couple of months ago:

that they should pick up a Juicero while they had the chance. I wonder if they did.

8 Likes

What are you talking about? The Juicero is a smashing success /s

3 Likes

It’s kind of hard to think of the Newton as an outright failure. It was certainly before it’s time. I think the same will turn out to be true about Google Glass. I am certain we will all be using something like Google Glass before long. The “rectangular screen in your hand” thing is getting pretty long in the tooth. It will evolve into something else eventually.

Now, Olestra (fat free Pringles) - There’s a failure! I’m surprised nobody has made a movie about that debacle. There must have been some very interesting high level meetings at P&G after spending a billion + on something and then being subjected to wall to wall “anal leakage” jokes in the media for months on end.

8 Likes

Google Glass was never a mass market consumer product. It never left the testing phase, which is why it was sold in limited numbers for such a high price. One could say that Google failed to turn it into a tangible product that people wanted.

3 Likes

McDonalds Arch Deluxe

Wasn’t that basically a quarter pounder with cheese, but dressed up with mayo, lettuce leaves, and sliced tomato?

IIRC, the main gimmick was the two sided packaging that kept the fresh veggies separated from the hot hamburger patty until you were ready to eat it.

https://www.plasticbrickautomaton.com/?id=60

1 Like

I’m wondering if he got prototypes/samples from the designers/people who worked on it.

2 Likes

That’s 10 minutes of my life I can never get back.

And I don’t regret a second of it.

Thanks for the fun link :thumbsup:

1 Like

[quote=“davide405, post:13, topic:102581”]IIRC, the main gimmick was the two sided packaging that kept the fresh veggies separated from the hot hamburger patty until you were ready to eat it.[/quote]As per the link, that was the McDLT. The Arch Deluxe was “the burger with the grown-up taste” and came many, many years later. All I can tell you about it off the top of my head is that it was made with broccoli, I think? Also the ads (one of which included disappointed children) were slightly memorable.

McDonald’s sure has gone through a lot of changes over the years.

4 Likes

Well, the last models (MP 2000, MP 2100) actually worked and were quite a nifty bit of tech for their time. BTW, still the best address database in any bit of mobile kit I’ve ever seen.

5 Likes

Later still, it was transformed into the Big-n-Tasty. I had a couple of friends who ran around town stealing the T to make the sign say “Try the Big Nasty.”

3 Likes