Music reduces the pain and anxiety of surgery

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/27/music-reduces-the-pain-and-anx.html

5 Likes

What if it’s music you hate? Or what if it’s Death Cab for Cutie, they’re just made of pain and anxiety.

1 Like

When I had my stints put in they asked what kind of music I like “rock, Allman Bros, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead” Sure enough they had it up in no time.

3 Likes

This was my go to during my cancer, it worked, I’m still here.

3 Likes

Depending on the music, some surgery may distract you from the pain.

6 Likes

Obligatory:

BTW, “relaxation music” usually makes irritably.

At an MRI I had three years ago they gave me headphones and played me music of my preference through them (some streaming service that gave me songs based on my original selection). I am positive this was used to help relax inside the big claustrophobic clunking beeping thing.

3 Likes

Having recently had procedures- music is nice - but I swear by morphine.

5 Likes

Since the office I visited didn’t have music, I tried meditation to relax by focusing on my breathing. After a minute, the technician told me that I was breathing too deeply, and it was making me move. She asked me to stop, so I spent the rest of the time trying to find the line between not breathing and taking in enough air to remain conscious.

1 Like

I’ve had 6 surgeries in the last 12 months, including on one Monday, wouldn’t matter if there was music in the operating theatre or not, I wouldn’t know anything about it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.