Musical composer's pen

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/24/musical-composers-pen.html

1 Like

There’s a blackboard version that’s much less bizarre and beautiful. When I was studying music /some/ of the blackboards had staff lines etched right onto the board.

For all the rest, there was a chunk of wood with five springs with chalk stuck in them that would let you draw a staff across the blackboard in one swipe.

11 Likes

I remember those. In my school we always had yellow chalk because Jimmy was allergic to the white stuff. Didn’t make sense then either.

1 Like

No mention of the chalk versions for blackboards? It’s a big wooden arch that holds five pieces of chalk, basically. We had one in our music room in elementary school (schools used to teach music- crazy). It was also featured in The Simpsons where Nelson shows Lisa how to cheat at writing lines on the board with it for detention.

Anyone know if there is a modern equivalent for whiteboard markers? I feel there must be.

EDIT: too slow! Azure got in before me. :grimacing:

4 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes

5chalks

1 Like

whoops, good thing I scrolled down before posting the youtube clip for that scene

Comes in handy if your name is George Crumb.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.