Musicians tend to hate it when Republicans use their music

There’s also Rush Limbaugh / Rush.

1 Like

I just hope that when the primary debates roll around all the candidates march out on stage to the tune of Henry Mancini’s “Baby Elephant Walk.” It’s thematically appropriate on so many levels! Plus, Mancini died in 1994 so he’s not likely to raise a fuss.

3 Likes
1 Like

I was about to get all preachy about the blatant hypocrisy of this usage and copyright law. Until I saw this in rolling stone Trump campaign sez:
“Through a license agreement with [performance-rights organization]
ASCAP, Mr. Trump’s campaign paid for and obtained the legal right to use
Neil Young’s recording of ‘Rockin’ in the Free World’ at today’s
event,”

But the plot thickens

ASCAP addresses artists’ legal rights and criticisms in
their document on political campaigns under the question, “Can the
campaign still be criticized or even sued by an artist for playing his
or her song at an event?”
“Yes. If an artist does not want his or her music to be
associated with the campaign, he or she may be able to legal action even
if the campaign has the appropriate copyright licenses,” ASCAP says.
"While the campaign would be in compliance with copyright law, it could
potentially be in violation of other laws, including “Right of
Publicity” and “False Endorsement.”

Neil Young has released an extended statement

"Yesterday my song ‘Rockin’ in the Free World’ was used in an announcement for a U.S. presidential candidate without my permission.

“A picture of me with this candidate was also circulated in conjunction with this announcement, but it was a photograph taken during a meeting when I was trying to raise funds for Pono, my online high-resolution music service.

“Music is a universal language. So I am glad that so many people with varying beliefs get enjoyment from my music, even if they don’t share my beliefs.

“But had I been asked to allow my music to be used for a candidate, I would have said no.

“I am Canadian and I don’t vote in the United States, but more importantly, I don’t like the current political system in the USA and some other countries.

"Increasingly democracy has been hijacked by corporate interests. The money needed to run for office, the money spent on lobbying by special interests, the ever-increasing economic disparity and the well-funded legislative decisions all favor corporate interests over the people.

“The Citizens United Supreme Court ruling is proof of this corruption, as well as the proposed trade deals, which would further compromise our rights.

“These corporations were originally created to serve us, but if we don’t appropriately prioritize, they will destroy us. Corporations don’t have children. They don’t have feelings or soul. They don’t depend on uncontaminated water, clean air or healthy food to survive. They are beholden to one thing: the bottom line.

“I choose to speak truth to this economic power. When I speak out on corporations hurting the common man or the environment or other species, I expect a well-financed disinformation campaign to be aimed my way.

“Such is the case with the reaction to my new album ‘The Monsanto Years’, which covers many of these issues. I support those bringing these issues to light and those who fight for their rights like freedom of choice.

“But freedom of choice is meaningless without knowledge.

“That’s why it’s crucial we all get engaged and get informed.

“That’s why GMO labeling matters. Mothers need to know what they are feeding their children. They need freedom to make educated choices at the market. When the people have voted for labeling, as they have in Vermont, they need our support when they are fighting these corporate interests trying to reverse the laws they have voted for and passed in the democratic process.

“I do not trust self-serving misinformation coming from corporations and their media trollies. I do not trust politicians who are taking millions from those corporations either. I trust people. So I make my music for people not for candidates.

“Keep on Rockin’ in the Free World.”

Question: has anyone ever seen @Cowicide and Neil Young in the same room?

5 Likes

Just once, I want to see one of these musicians say “Hey- I noticed you were using my song in your campaign. Can I give your introduction at your next event?”

And then just fucking eviscerate them like Steven Colbert at a White House Dinner, without the cover of comedy to deflect.

It’s what Ted Nugent would do if the tables were turned. I’d have expected Young or RAtM to have as much sack at least.

2 Likes

Do we want a public servant who doesn’t understand or respect the laws of the country they’re serving?

This is like the request for no brown M&Ms in the dressing room: it’s a big clue that they really haven’t paid attention to the entire contract.

1 Like

It’s clear that Trump can’t even be trusted to use a comb…

2 Likes

He doesn’t use one…he has people to do that for him. :wink:

has anyone ever seen @Cowicide and Neil Young in the same room?

Bah, I probably wouldn’t have mentioned GMO labeling and I would have reiterated support for Bernie Sanders. :wink:

And, on that note, someone in this thread should mention that Neil Young initially mentioned support for Bernie Sanders in his first communication against the Trump idiot using his song:

“Donald Trump was not authorized to use ‘Rockin’ in the Free World’ in his presidential candidacy announcement,” Young’s representatives from Lookout Management wrote in an email sent Tuesday night to the Burlington Free Press. “Neil Young, a Canadian citizen, is a supporter of Bernie Sanders for President of the United States of America.”

2 Likes

Dixie Chicks, Steve Earle, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Lucinda Williams (supports Bernie Sanders!)… These aren’t really eccentric outliers. The close association of country (and Real America™ in general) with the right wing has been a blazing success of the Republican propaganda strategy machine over the past several decades. It’s not just well-to-do entertainers, either; the actual real America is a lot more liberal than the likes of Roger Ailes would have you believe. (FWIW, even centrist and lefty media unwittingly promote that skewed perception by giving plenty of coverage to every Cliven Bundy, Fred Phelps, Rush Limbaugh, Florida Man, etc. It’s entertaining but grossly distorted.)

5 Likes

Racists tend to be generally not the clever type. It reminds me of BNP using an image of a Spitfire from the Free Polish Air Force squadrons fighting in the Battle of Britain in their campaign to get rid of foreigners from UK.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.