Musk merely wants $47 billion for the great job he is doing at Tesla

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/17/musk-merely-wants-47-billion-for-the-great-job-he-is-doing-at-tesla.html

8 Likes

The board may be packed with his cronies, but ultimately the shareholders will decide whether he deserves a compensation package that’s excessive even by the standards of corporate America.

If I held stock in the company I know how I’d vote, but I dumped it all last year when it was riding high as one of the “magnificent seven”.

11 Likes

Somehow I’m guessing the shareholders include a disproportionate number of Musk bros too, so we’ll see. Tesla is not exactly a meme stock like DJT Media but it does still have a lot weird cultists.

11 Likes

Pssssst! Hey! Hey, board of directors! Conventional wisdom says you have to wildly overcompensate CEOs to get the best of the best [Ed: you don’t]. But this goon isn’t going anywhere even if you bring his pay down to earth. Don’t be complicit idiots.

From the Congressional Progressive Caucus Center:

19 Likes

That Musk is asking for wildly outrageous sums of money for leading Tesla is grotesque - that he’s asking for it while demonstrably leading Tesla straight into the gutter, personally reducing the value of the company, is hilarious.

13 Likes

Probably wants to money so he can buy more Truth Social stocks. Who else do you think is buying that junk, duh.

4 Likes

Firstly, not a great look after firing 10% of the workforce, in the name of being lean. It makes it look like he thinks Tesla is about to crash and burn and he is trying to extract as much money as he can before that.

Secondly, the best capitalism is when you have workers working for free. Seems to me to be exactly what has happened here. Tesla shareholders have done well from the deal.

Tesla does not morally owe Musk anything - there is no moral debt. Just as Tesla did not owe the fired workers anything. There is no question of fairness - he worked for free, end of discussion.

And to the extent that there should be a monetary debt, I think he needs to show a contract to justify this. And if there is a contract, where is the debt in the accounts?

5 Likes

Maybe they should offer him a horse.

The one he rode in on?

10 Likes

Does Tesla even have $47Bn of cash to pay him?

2 Likes

As the saying goes, “all hat no horse”

7 Likes

“Recently, I became poor. It’s disgusting, and it means God loves me less than he loves you.”

Hoping it comes around for you too, Elon.

4 Likes

LOL. If I was the board I would be doing this - not milking the company of billions they should be investing in better manufacturing practices.

What Would You Say You Do Here Office Space GIF

7 Likes

2 Likes

Presumably it’s stock, not cash

2 Likes

Really doing a great job

7 Likes

I’m fairly sure that’s exactly what’s going on here.

6 Likes

The Cybertruck’s owners manual does caution against ever washing the truck in direct sunlight, and there is a section expressly mentioning that the truck has to be switched into “Car Wash Mode” before washing to avoid damage to parts of the vehicle.

4 Likes

Even if nothing goes wrong with a Cybertruck at all, one of the problems is still between the seat and the yoke-thingy.

5 Likes

What happens, I wonder, if it’s parked outdoors when a thunderstorm rolls through? Or is it just water+soap that’s dangerous?

3 Likes

do NOT tell Tesla SCs that you drove it through a car wash (like this guy) even if you turned on Car Wash Mode. They will void your warranty.

FTC has gotta love that.

4 Likes