Musk's lawsuit kills responsible advertising group

Originally published at: Free speech absolutist kills responsible advertising group - Boing Boing

9 Likes

This would be the very same responsible advertising group that Twitter/X was bragging about being a member of just weeks ago.

25 Likes

Musk is turning it the poster child of why it’s vital for healthy democracies to levy very high upper-end progressive taxes (like was done in the U.S. in the mid 20th century until the Regan Revolution f*cked things up). It keeps any one person from getting too much power and silencing others.

I really hope that Harris wins the 2024 election so that she can champion Elizabeth Warren’s “Ultra-millionaire” tax policy.

32 Likes

But Musk is the one person who believes in true and absolute free speech /s

11 Likes

In a twisted way: “Free speech for me (and my friends/toadies/sycophants), but not for thee.”

5 Likes

IANAL but does this count as a SLAPP?

15 Likes

Disgusting. I’ll bet he got a congratulatory call from his fellow fascist billionaire Thiel.

8 Likes

There is no federal anti-SLAPP statute, unfortunately.

10 Likes

It’s cheaper for them to re-form next week as the Alliance of Responsible Global Media than fight the suit. Let Musk play an expensive game of Whack-a-Mole with dozens of disposable NGOs while advertisers flee.

13 Likes

I’m sure that will convince advertisers to buy Bigly from Elmer. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

But… but… Elmo TOLD them to leave. Now he doesn’t like that??

5 Likes

But but would anyone thinks of those “temporarily embarrassed (bi/mi)llionaires” ? /S

Joke aside, this makes me to instantly recall Thiel and Gawker. These rich assholes and their grievance.

7 Likes

I get more and more the impression that GARM was purely an alibi-organisation to begin with; “see, were doing something…”

5 Likes

Things that make you go hm:

But:

They don’t look that small to me.

Anyways, let’s wait and see if suing Mars works any better than colonizing Mars.

5 Likes

Wasn’t participation voluntary and nonbinding? I suspect a stronger organization may exist in the future.

Unsure if that is a good thing or bad thing though.

2 Likes

Come to my lemonade stand or else I’ll shoot you in the kneecap!

1 Like

I expect it’s the difference between the actual organization/staff, and people who sign up for their service. Much like Boing Boing is a small blog-bbs-thing even-though there are hundreds (??) of members who participate.

From another article: “The WFA was founded in 1953 and is headquartered in Belgium. The WFA started the GARM initiative in 2019. GARM has two full-time staff members, Business Insider wrote.”

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.