Must-haves: Drunk in public Japanese capsule toys

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/06/must-haves-drunk-in-public-ja.html

7 Likes

Nice. Wish I could get one to go annoy the surly little salaryman I got in 2015.

16 Likes

Drinking in Japan is a lot of fun.

Getting so drunk they make a figurine out of you is not.

15 Likes

Excuse me…I have never worn pink shorts.

6 Likes

Based on my limited experience, the salaryman in a suit is the most representative of actual Japanese life, although I don’t recall ever seeing one wearing a traffic cone on his face.

3 Likes

I don’t suppose anyone knows if it’s possible to just order a set from anywhere?

3 Likes

Apparently the Japanese “capsule hotels” so beloved in cyberpunk fiction were (in real life) created so that businessmen who got drunk could sleep it off rather than embarrass themselves in front of their families by going home.

7 Likes

This seems like a perfect opportunity to exploit the liquid encapsulation technique. Why just get a toy that is drunk in public from your capsule when the capsule could contain a drunk-in-public toy and help you get drunk in public?

Might be a choking hazard after the user has downed the first few capsules and their attention to detail is starting to waver; but that just adds excitement.

3 Likes

I occasionally get hobby-related merch from Japan. Most of the time, a special little free surprise ‘something’ was included. Last year, it was an Iwako brand eraser, fashioned as a behatted, scarfed-up, carrot-nose snowman. Criminally kawaii, and too nice to use as an eraser, so I keep it in my desk at work… but I will ‘deploy’ it during Xmas time (to properly use its energy. :slightly_smiling_face:) . I have no idea how I would handle even a free drunk capsule toy, if received.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.