Mutant horticulture

so we’ve had some coolish nights this month and that always stirs the orchids into activity. now, the first orchid of 2024 has bloomed!

also, the starburst tree has “exploded” in blossoms that look like fireworks!

even though we will drop to upper 50s tonight, mid 50s(F) monday night, it will be 70s and sunny in the daytime.
for here, that means spring has arrived!

11 Likes

Hey look!

10 Likes

nice! that looks like a very happy orchid, indeed!
i just saw today that one of my first outdoor mounts has bloomed. it has miniature flowers and was a mother’s day gift from me to mum several years ago. it is draped in “old man’s beard” (so-called Spanish moss - which it is neither - it is an airplant and not moss and it is not Spanish):

10 Likes

A friend gave me these bulbs. They are called amorphophallus (from Ancient Greek amorphos, “without form, misshapen” + phallos, “penis”, referring to the shape of the prominent spadix). Looks interesting!

9 Likes

that’s kind of funny (to me).
we can’t get rid of those in our yard and have sent bulbs to friends on the mainland to try and thin them out! i suspect our lawn service has spread some around. they keep popping up under the plumeria trees!
they are wierd looking when they bloom.

6 Likes

I love spanish moss, and other air plants (have a couple in the house)… is it another bromeliad?

4 Likes

they are related epiphytes (airplants), yes. many varieties here. very popular, i suppose due to how easy they are to care for.

5 Likes

here is another airplant in the yard:

generic Tillandsia sp. hanging out from the spider plant. it has a cute little bright red bloom like a tiny bromeliad flower.

8 Likes

I have some of that in my bathroom, doesn’t seem quite as happy though :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If you get them to bloom and your have a thermal camera, have a look!

I did this with Amorphophallus titan, one of the largest blooms in the world. It’s truly amazing how the spadix can heat up at night, working as an osmophore.

A. konjac btw, can be prepared to be edible, and due to it’s high content of of polysaccharides has some interesting properties as food.

Also, if you do not treat it horribly, it will proliferate.

10 Likes

Neat! I have one of those little FLIR 1 attachments for my phone/tablet. Now I can’t wait to check out some blooms in the night come springtime.

6 Likes

Any good? I’m thinking of getting one.

5 Likes

Nice for the price. Mine’s a few years old now. It’s definitely a bit “coarse” but still handy for what I need it for most, general diagnostics of building envelopes.
It’s fun for group photos, too. “Who’s the hottest?”

7 Likes

Watch Zone of Interest.

Or don’t obviously. While I suspect later year’s viewings will surface different awfulnesses, horticulture is the fist in mouth at first viewing.

2 Likes

I’m gonna stop you there – this topic is specifically about houseplant horticulture. Nazi shit belongs in the gardening thread.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Am I missing a joke here?

Please do not sully the gardening topic.

2 Likes

Yes, I made a weak joke about what the Nazis were doing in Zone of Interest being more like gardening than horticulture (as mostly used in this here topic).

I wouldn’t want any BBS thread to become a Nazi Bar.

3 Likes

Here we go again!

(It looks like I shook the camera or something, but that’s just the shadow from the flash of course.)

For some reason the bulb shifted in the pot and the stalk was growing out sideways, so I’ve been turning the pot to get it to grow more vertically.

12 Likes

this is the same Tillandsia airplant now in bloom. love the bright red color!

11 Likes

I’m not sure whether to put this here, or in the climate change topic, or in This is Fine, or the map library.

8 Likes