My daughter wants a pink lava lamp, not a machete

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/25/my-daughter-wants-a-pink-lava.html

11 Likes

man, you need to work on fixing those priorities of hers…

6 Likes

My daughter asked for a butterfly knife for Xmas. She’d fuckin’ love a machete I imagine.

7 Likes

23 Likes

Both of you need to work on your texting punctuation. You are using OK Boomer periods and she is using the “uptalk” question mark

13 Likes

Maybe she wants to make her own Lavarand!

8 Likes

Because Machete don’t text.

6 Likes

Why not both?

16 Likes

With a machete, she could liberate many lava lamps…

5 Likes

I approve of either choices, honestly.

Years ago I wanted to have a 3-color set of lava lamps, either RGB or CMY. Turns out I couldn’t quite find quite the color combo I wanted at the price-point I could then afford (branded Lava™️ Lamps are expensive!), and a couple of moves into small spaces meant I dropped the idea.

Maybe I’ll start the quest again, now that I have space and more money.

2 Likes

She seems unsure of whether she wants a machete or not. You could still convince her, I believe.

9 Likes

It’s obvious that you’re trying the best you can to be a good parent. May I suggest setting a proper example by wielding your own machete in front of her, showing her all the reasons it’s better than a lava lamp?

13 Likes

Seconded.
Lava lamps are awesome. Mine went to Goodwill before my recent move. Once the new place gets organized better I will have to get a replacement.

@jlw also just one machete? You need three so you can juggle them.

ETA for anyone out there thinking of it. We don’t use actual sharp ones, not that a long heavy thin strip of metal won’t fuck you up. Also if you really wanna do it invest in proper juggling prop ones as the real ones have a crappy center of gravity for juggling as they will drift backwards… INTO YOU.

15 Likes

My daughter wants a pink lava lamp, not a machete

@Grey_Devil
thumb_why-not-both-i-feel-liketransgenders-took-this-meme-a-37915142

17 Likes

Good to see that there are so many thoughtful and incisive reviews of this fine product. One does wonder why the price varies so widely with the color.

51Bw3PSaxQL.AC

7 Likes

Came here to say the same thing. I totally want that lava lamp, and also a murderously sharp machete that I can paint pink and bedazzle the words “Hard bitch” on the side.

9 Likes

If this were Jan Ken Po, does machete beat lamp or does molten pink stuff beat machete?

1 Like

You might explain to her that it’s a whole lot easier to whack back the blackberry bushes in the back yard using a machete than it is using a lava lamp.

5 Likes

How sharper than a serpent’s tooth machete it is to have a thankless child!
– William Shakespeare, King Lear, Act 1 Scene 4

8 Likes