My favorite dark chocolate: Lindt 90% cocoa

Is it an extant culture?

The Aztec /ˈæztɛk/[1] people were certain ethnic groups of central Mexico, particularly those groups who spoke the Nahuatl language and who dominated large parts of Mesoamerica from the 14th to 16th centuries. (source)

2 Likes

Or is it an exclusive club?

3 Likes

Depends who you ask, and how you define them. There is a lot more indigenous culture remaining in Mexico than is apparent in the US. But, of course, these ethnic groups are much different than they were historically - which could be said of every ethnic group. Just because they aren’t the same as they were 500 or 1000 years ago does not imply that they no longer exist, which seems to be a very colonial perspective. Their land is still named after their own people - Mēxihcah - and a lot of them still live there.

When used about ethnic groups the term “Aztec” refers to several Nahuatl speaking peoples of central Mexico in the postclassic period of Mesoamerican chronology, especially the ethnic group that had a leading role in establishing the hegemonic empire based at Tenochtitlan, the Mexica. Other ethnic groups associated with the Aztec empire are the Acolhua and Tepanec ethnic groups and some of the ethnic groups that were incorporated into the empire, and the term is also sometimes used about them. In older usage the term was commonly used about modern Nahuatl speaking ethnic groups, as Nahuatl was previously referred to as the “Aztec language”. In recent usage these ethnic groups are rather referred to as the Nahua peoples.[4][5] Linguistically the term “Aztecan” is still used about the branch of the Uto-Aztecan languages (also sometimes called the yuto-nahuan languages) that includes the Nahuatl language and its closest relatives Pochutec and Pipil.[6]

To the Aztecs themselves the word “aztec” was not an endonym for any particular ethnic group. Rather it was an umbrella term used to refer to several ethnic groups, not all of them Nahuatl speaking, that claimed heritage from the mythic place of origin, Aztlan. In the Nahuatl language “aztecatl” means “person from Aztlan”. In 1810 Alexander von Humboldt originated the modern usage of “Aztec” as a collective term applied to all the people linked by trade, custom, religion, and language to the Mexica state and the Triple Alliance. In 1843, with the publication of the work of William H. Prescott, it was adopted by most of the world, including 19th century Mexican scholars who saw it as a way to distinguish present-day Mexicans from pre-conquest Mexicans. This usage has been the subject of debate in more recent years, but the term “Aztec” is still more common.[7]

11 Likes

Call me an effete barbarian snob if you must, but I like this.

1 Like

at least the edition is limited

1 Like

still might be on the shelves forever.

1 Like

So many disturbing aspects here I hardly know where to start.

Maybe it tastes as good as:

or perhaps:

http://www.engrish.com/2015/02/kit-for-kat/

5 Likes

That Chokey would go just right with some cool, refreshing Sweat.

4 Likes

Mmm… Chokey…

…for those who complained that “Hydrox” was an unappetizing name!

No sweat for me - I’ll take mine with some genuine bird nest drink.

4 Likes

Uh oh, we better get back on topic here. . .

7 Likes

Not if @japhroaig is in the vicinity

Birds Nest Drank is the drizzink du jour.

2 Likes

And in other news, “eating dark chocolate is good for the brain”! And people who eat it while drinking green tea will live forever benefit even more.

1 Like

raises hand

But the Hydrox people understood the language, right? When it gets to Engrish all bets are off.

7 Likes

Thanks, but I prefer mine cold.

8 Likes

Yours might be cold when you start your carton of kim chee drink, but you’ll be in a dutch oven by the time you finish it.

2 Likes

Cadbury? In a thread about real chocolate? /walks off in huff

2 Likes

Should be in the Oreo thread with the other crap made by Kraft Mondelez.

2 Likes

Can I admit I can’t stand more than 80%? 70% is what I prefer, and while milk chocolate has its place I prefer ultrasmooth non milk.