My genius friend Rick Rosner went to high school for 10 years

Not to be confused with the other Rick Rosner, creator of CHiPs.
Now that’s an achievement…

6 Likes

I’ve got huge admiration for anyone who can make it through ten years of high-school. I barely made it through the mandatory minimum alive and still carry the scars.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was a precocious kid, and developed a large vocabulary early on.

People, especially classmates would tell me that I was really smart all the time. And although I knew better, and really dislike being told that, I think all the conceptual reinforcement from people judging my intelligence by superficial measures really screwed with my development.

I think I’d be better off if people in elementary and high school never told me I was smart or intelligent. I think I would have been less of an alien, and would have been better able to develop socially.

1 Like

I don’t think so. You’d just have a bit less idea why you aren’t fitting in.

2 Likes

Exactly, Meshak. I’m blaming all of YOU asswipes for my shitty life. If you don’t like it, too bad.

Please don’t cherry-pick my response to another person’s comment, especially if all you are going to do is snipe.

My original position was that IQ tests are not an accurate measure of intelligence and should not be used to judge people.

Richard Rosner seemed like a good illustration of my point. He is famous not because of anything he has actually accomplished, but precisely because he performed well on several different IQ tests.

Judging by what he has done (i.e. he has worked as a writer on several unfunny comedy shows and filed a frivolous lawsuit), I find it difficult to believe those high IQ scores mean very much. However, this is incidental. Presumably, the other writers for Jimmy Kimmel Live managed to get jobs without demonstrating “genius level” IQs.

To clarify, I am not criticizing TV writing as a career. I am not criticizing writing for Jimmy Kimmel as a career. I am not specifying a hypothetical potential or saying someone must be this successful to have fulfilled it. I am not evaluating the quality of Rick Rosner’s life. I have no idea whether he’s happy with the way things have turned out for him, but I genuinely hope so.

What I am doing is criticizing the idea that IQ tests should confer some kind of special status upon those who score highly. I do not disagree with the concepts of "smart’ or “genius”, but I do disagree with the concept that having (or not having) a high IQ makes one (or precludes one from being) either of those things.

3 Likes

It’s kind of like wearing a hair shirt or self flagellation. Kudos for having the metal to make it through, but only he knows what drove him to do it repeatedly.

2 Likes

Exactly. Respect mixed with a huge dose of WTF. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Rosner is clearly very smart, though odd by certain standards, and has a reasonably successful life. If you refuse to acknowledge the ourobouros of results-implying-intellectual-value you present, that’s fine too, I won’t engage further.

Right, I don’t understand the point to bragging about tests better designed to sort out the learning deficient than “identifying genius”.

2 Likes
[quote="LDoBe, post:20, topic:38667"]

Nearly everyone has a score within 10 points of 100.
[/quote]

Ummmm… about 50% of people do. I’m surprised you dropped the ball there. Most people with 120 IQs really nail the “nearly all” vs “half” puzzle.

1 Like

:grimace: ya got me there. Just goes to show that having an IQ above the
mean doesn’t mean one has the ability, wisdom, presence of mind or drive to
apply their intelligence with any consistency. It also doesn’t shield from
cognitive biases or heuristics.

Yep, you’re absolutely right there. The Standard deviation is 15 points,
according to Wikipedia. So 95% of test takers fall between 70, and 130.

98+% (I can’t remember the exact number from statistics class way back
when, but I think it was 98.6%) fall between 55 and 145. I don’t remember
any percentages at all for anything higher than 3 standard deviations from
the mean.

What I’d like to see is if there’s a skew or translation in the
distribution.

1 Like

4 Likes

If you refuse to acknowledge that the label “genius” is subjective, and that trying to make it objective through standardized testing is meaningless, that’s fine. It’s something we could have discussed.

However, since you are unwilling to even put in the effort for good-faith response to my posts, I won’t waste any more of my time. Cheers, bro.

2 Likes

Silly me - I just got an extra HS diploma (real diploma, fake name) when I could have been spending extra years in HS.

1 Like

Sparkly 400 year old pedophile vampire…

2 Likes

I had to look up “Jimmy Kimmel”.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t that be the median person?

3 Likes

obligatory, ad nauseam: the mean and median are each an average. also IQ is roughly gaussian, so the two are almost the same anyway.

3 Likes

I distinctly remember my friend’s girlfriend in High School joining us full of excitement because she got ‘a 94’ on an IQ test her parents had her take for some reason.

At the time I had enough empathy and discretion to keep my mouth shut. Later, when she became a creepy obsessive stalker of my friend, not so much.

4 Likes