Mysterious "Men In Black" spotted in Iowa

I grew up near an Air Force base, out in the desert (not dessert, thanks @SlyBevel) . So, being teenagers with no supervision, we spent a lot of time in the dessert drinking or getting stoned (allegedly, hypothetically). We saw so many UFOs. It was fun scaring ourselves at the time, but truthfully? The base was Edwards, so there were a lot of test flights. They were UFOs, as in unknown to us, but I’m sure the good folks at Edwards knew exactly what was going on.

4 Likes

Sounds delicious. We just have sand and salt.

9 Likes

Some say that they’re on a mission from God.

6 Likes

That’s what I was thinking.
I guess you don’t see many trench coats in Ioway.

Shouldn’t be able to buy a geek’s duster if you are on the no fly list.

5 Likes

It’s Iowa really that boring?

Are middle Americans that desperate for something (other) to fear? Bad food, sloth, cars and guns not deadly enough for you?!?

Perhaps a pointless and unwinnable war would help - oh, you’ve already got one?

A severely broken economy rife with inequality? Nope.

Corrupt pay-to-play government? Already there…

Well, enjoy your boogieman then!

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like
2 Likes

That’s a man in yellow - totally different thing!

1 Like

Preparing my arrival and transport, assuredly.

Shield on.

This is Iowa, so it’s all fun and games until someone stops and shoots one of the merry pranksters…

(not saying that there probably are rifle racks in pickups in Iowa, but…)

2 Likes

6 Likes

11 Likes

Having spent a significant amount of my life in Iowa, men in black trench coats in a city wouldn’t warrant a second glance from me or anyone else. However anyone, and especially men dressed that way, walking around in the middle of nowhere would. I would immediately assume they might be in some kind of distress from a car breaking down or being lost, because the likelihood of seeing someone walking around corn fields or other rural areas is just so statistically low, especially if that someone isn’t wearing the standard, self imposed, farmer’s uniform. I don’t think I’ve ever been stopped along a roadside in Iowa and had more than 1 or 2 cars pass before someone stopped to offer help, it’s just normal to watch out for people there.

As delightfully silly as this story is, Muscatine county is full of farm fields and wooded areas, and I would have called the sheriff about them, too, though I would have described them as ‘people who might be lost’ rather than ‘mysterious men in black.’

2 Likes

it’s what’s under the trench coat that they’re worried about.

I doubt this story will prompt any silly-ass copycat nonsense, thank god.

1 Like

Do not approach them, they might be tourists!

1 Like

Probably just scoping the town out in advance of RAGBRAI