Mystery drone squadrons flying over Colorado and Nebraska

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/02/mystery-drone-squadrons-flying.html

4 Likes

Oh dear. I rather suspect that’s not good news for peace, security and the wellbeing of the population at large.

10 Likes

It seems clear that climate change and habitat destruction have deprived the Black Helicopter population of its usual prey, leaving the remaining individuals undersized and sickly.

Only time will tell if these noble creatures are able to adapt to a new ecological niche; or whether they will fade forever into the night like a heavily classified polar bear with the strength to swim no further…

37 Likes

Easily explained as just another batch of mystery airships.

I’d take all the size and distance numbers as guesses. Also that they’re drones. Apparently no one has gotten a clear look or photo of one of them. (Where are all the bad phone videos?)

12 Likes

Unidentified flying object: exists
American lady: can we shoot it down?

13 Likes

7 Likes

I, for one, welcome …

6 Likes

The Phoenix Lights, the Next Generation

1 Like

Escaped Disney show drones have become self aware and are looking for a suitable home away from their former masters.

16 Likes

My guess is a startup is testing crop spraying with drones.

They were hoping to avoid detection by flying at night because they want to get ahead of the competition and they are bypassing the FAA rules. Flying at night might provide better visibility for IR cameras, which could be used to distinguish the crop from the surroundings. Perhaps they want to spray for insects that are active at night.

An article on the Mediterranean fruit fly battles in California in the 1990s says, “The state’s spraying is done by helicopters flying in formation at 500 feet. The spraying is done at night so fewer people will be covered by the sticky substance.” [my emphasis]

12 Likes

Next week, a stranger with different coloured skin arrives in town and takes a fancy to the Mayor’s daughter.

1 Like

Nah, his dumbass Starlink satellites are being called UFOs further north.

Or reconnaissance, or an art display, or whatever. Obviously we’re right on the edge of these things becoming ubiquitous, so when I read about a UFO scare now, I always wonder if this it will be the last one.

believe

2 Likes
8 Likes

I wonder how close these mystery squadrons are to this:

6 Likes

Might be my phone, but I’ve never been able to take a good cellphone pic of the night sky, except when there’s lightning.

3 Likes

Canon A590 (my current phone has more megapixels, but you can’t beat real lenses):

1 Like

Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3.
Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3.

" The National Park Service has even used drones for an extensive mapping project at Colorado’s Great Sand Dunes National Park to visualize and document the park’s natural resources for protection purposes."

12 Likes

Mystery drone squadrons

Good name for a song, or band, or …?

5 Likes

The southern most siting on the map shown in the youtube still was about 80 miles northeast of Cheyenne Mountain. These seem to be flying over the flat areas in eastern Colorado/western Nebraska.

3 Likes