Naked man breaks into house, swims in pool while owner is home, caught on camera

John Cheever fan?

2 Likes

I wondered what happened after he locked the door between him and the intruder. It would take a lot for me to consider escaping from a second story, because of the risk of winding up injured on the ground.

8 Likes

Bean bag chairs.

We had a split-level ranch home when I was growing up. We’d climb out my window onto the roof and jump onto our bean bag chairs, until they finally popped.

10 Likes

Cringe No GIF

2 Likes

Nowhere in the article does it say this guy was homeless (sorry, “unhoused” is super awkward and almost comical in its attempts to rephrase essentially the same thing- if the goal is to emphasize the difference between not having a physical building and not having a home as in a place of family and belonging, “houseless” would still be way less stilted. Maybe time will change my mind on this), so that would appear to be an assumption on your part… unless you’re just saying it doesn’t matter because that’s who will get blamed whether or not the criminal had a house, in which case you’re probably right. But I think it’s entirely possible this guy had a house of his own and was just an asshole, unless there’s evidence to the contrary.

1 Like

Tangential question: if you had a pool at your house, and a stranger asked to swim in it, would you let them?

I never woulda thunk that California would have Castle Doctrine. Thanks for posting that. From reading a bit more, there are some important gotchas.

You may not get convicted of a crime for shooting an intruder, but you may very well be on the hook for civil damages to the shooting victim or their estate. Self defense liability insurance is a thing, and it is not cheap.

And you still have to really be in real fear of serious bodily harm. The Castle Doctrine grants a presumption, so you don’t have to prove your state of mind, but you can’t invoke it in good faith if you are not in fear of serious bodily harm.

So basically jumping out of a second story window onto a car is going to be a lot cheaper and less hassle than shooting this gentleman and defending both civil and criminal cases. Not to mention the subtle joy of saving a human life.

1 Like

Probably not, I think it would put my house insurance premiums up if something bad happened.

2 Likes

Probably not. Between potential hygiene issues and legal liability in case of an accident I’d be very hesitant.

1 Like

And partner?

Did you watch the video? About 2 minutes in the reporter says something about the man being homeless. I didn’t presume, except, I guess, the presumption that the reporting was accurate and the cops were being honest, which is indeed a big assumption. :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

They might be able to convince me during the current heat wave…

1 Like

My apologies, I must have been tired- I completely tuned out the fact that there was a video, but you’re absolutely right.

6 Likes

No worries. I’m’ tired right now!
:wink:

6 Likes

Were it Bert Lancaster, absolutely.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Left the important part out of the headline, I notice.
Those poor birbs…

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.