NASA hid an Easter Egg in the parachute for Perseverance

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/02/23/nasa-hid-an-easter-egg-in-the-parachute-for-perseverance.html

9 Likes

Literally waving a taunting banner in the face of the God of War. Hubristic but I like it.

18 Likes

They didn’t use ASCII encoding!!?!

10 Likes

love this, i was hoping someone would figure out what they were hinting at soon. side note: are all Tiktok users on some kind of drugs? because it seems like all Tiktok users are on some kind of drugs.

11 Likes

Evidenced by the little white rings in both their pupils. Or are those the now-fashionable tick tock contact lenses?

5 Likes

Obligs
the simpsons nerd GIF

5 Likes

After Viking, American probes have all taken much less provocative names. I can just imagine the awkwardness of finally meeting real Martians, and explaining to them, “we’ve named your planet for our most obnoxious tradition. Nothing personal, of course!”

6 Likes

https://www.google.com/search?q=ring+light
“Special” lights that are not a point light, presumably as to not cast unruly shadows and allows the toker (tok-er?) to appear better.

3 Likes

Oh, sure, they look just like reflections of ring-lighting rigs, but I prefer the drugs explanation

6 Likes

No, but the aliens do… or whoever/whatever made this thing:

7 Likes

Wow, NICE crop “circle”. I wonder how long the college students took to make it, this time?

4 Likes

And did they do it in the dark? For decades? Never once being caught, leaving a footprint, gum wrapper, anything? Often in a part of the world that only has a few hours of dark, including during heavy storms?

Actually, it was reading Jacques Vallée’s Passport to Magonia over the past week when I learned that “crop circles” have been reported well before the 70s and 80s, which is the timeframe I was under the impression the contemporary manifestation of the phenomenon has been reported (not including folk accounts, which Vallée also documents – I’m talking 1950s and 60s).

And yes this is a bit OT so I will reign it in… :alien:

Crop circles have been duplicated many times publicly, often by university students, imitating the “impossible”/unusual features more-or-less well, each time.

And so on.

Could some of them be legit? Sure, but it seems pretty drastically unlikely, with information like the above at hand.

1 Like

We can discuss more via DM if you’d like, but I feel we’ve derailed this thread enough! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Or ‘You are only this much market contraction away from Umbrella Corp. being a thing.’ Or they had 10bits, tear off a Chinese codepage and get 40 more words off. Dorm Blighty Figs indeed.

4 Likes

It’s even more cryptic than that - it’s actually an anagram of:
“High Mind Strategy”.

No? how about:
“Gyrating Meth Dish”?

I’d get rhyming hats?

That’s a nice grey scale that they’ve got going. Obviously crop circles have progressed from a bunch of the lads, stakes and rope.

1 Like

Later, in the subterranean caverns that house the indigenous Martian civilization:

2 Likes

Amatuers.

They also left off the stop bits and the parity bits. These JPL fellas really need to get their act together if they want to get anywhere off this world.

2 Likes

Are awesome.

4 Likes