NASA reports a "potentially hazardous" asteroid will come close to Earth on February 15, 2020

Asteroids burning into ground.

2 Likes

Chrump finally acknowledged the asteroid and released its projected path through the solar system.

6 Likes

Cowboy Neal, is that you?

2 Likes

So… let me see if I’ve understood this properly. In astronomical terms, the meteor will come close to earth in the same way I’m close to my goal weight and fitness? (That is, I’m nowhere near my goal weight and fitness level.)

3 Likes

Imgur

1 Like

recommended…

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=mWaCAgAAQBAJ&lpg=PP1&pg=PT4#v=onepage&q&f=false

That preeminent science reporting magazine, the International Business News, reports, breathlessly: “Largest Planet-Killer Asteroid To Approach Earth This Month Arriving On Saturday”.

Nasa, meanwhile: https://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=163373;old=0;orb=0;cov=0;log=0;cad=1#cad

Why do you think this is being released and reported? “Hey guys, we do important stuff like monitor asteroids that might kill you all”.

Oh come on. It’s fifteen lunar distances away, calm TF down.

…or maybe it can hit Whuhan and take out the coronavirus.

What would Superman do?

1 Like

Sometime in the next ten thousand years
A comet’s going to wipe out all trace of man
I’m banking on it coming
Before my end of year exam.

The rich kid becomes a junkie
The poor kid an advertiser
What a tragic waste of potential
(And being a junkie’s not much good either)

TISM, “Greg, the stop sign!”

3 Likes

Still in astronomical terms this is really close.

3b33bf2576d8ab293fa10f916666a472

2 Likes

I’ve meditated for this day so many times in the past few years. Can it really be happening?? Well, at least I got to see Black Spire Outpost first!

1 Like

Hopefully, we’ll get more than 24 hours notice before the one that actually hits us. (Not that this will really matter, with NASA budget cuts and all). But at least we can clear out our DVR queue.

Assuming that refers to termites? Their buildings can be pretty damned impressive!

1 Like

From Wikipedia:
“The Boeing Everett Factory, in Everett, Washington, is an airplane assembly building owned by Boeing. Located on the north-east corner of Paine Field, it is the largest building in the world by volume at 13,385,378 m3 (472,370,319 cu ft) and covers 399,480 m2 (98.7 acres; 39.948 hectares; 0.399 square kilometres). This is the factory where the wide-body Boeing 747, 767, 777, and 787 are assembled.”

Looks to be only a couple stories tall though, guess this meteor isn’t so big after all.

1 Like

If you live on the east coast, the traditional starting time of 2 day benders has begun.

In terms of notice time, it will always boggle my mind that the Chicxulub impactor that wiped out the non-avian dinosaurs was basically invisible to the naked eye until seconds before impact because it was moving at 20 km/s and was “only” 80 km across. It moved so fast that the iconic imagery of dinosaurs looking up at a fiery streak moving across the sky is almost comically inaccurate; it slammed through the entire 60 km of atmosphere in about 3 seconds and was busy punching a hole in the mantle before the top of it had even left outer space.

Asteroids are scary, yo.

12 Likes

Perfect, I should still be sleeping and miss the whole thing.