NASCAR banned the Confederate flag, prompting calls for a boycott

I prefer demolition derbies anyway. Bunch of cars going around in circles…boring…but I get it…its not the race its the parties going on before/during/after the race.

2 Likes

I’m sure there’s pressure. But I’m pretty sure it comes from a 15 year slide in ratings and attendance. One that apparently accelerated fast in the last 5 years. 2018 was their worst year ever in terms of anyone giving a shit.

I’m sure whatever sponsors they have left aren’t worth all that much. Seems like it’s already Cash 4 Gold car at this point. Much like Fox News and it’s primary sponsors: 5 gallon buckets of dehydrated bunker food.

5 Likes

i miss watching racing with my (step) grandpa and my (step) dad.

my mother crushed my dreams of becoming a go-kart racer, or even say driving a go-kart, at the tender age of 11. still, it was a chill time to hang out with adult males in a safe setting and listen to them talk about cars and literally everything else under the sun. good times.

i was well into being an adult before learning to drive, and pretty much cars are the worst thing ever. but i guess that’s all beside the point.

here’s to hoping this helps to begin cleaning up some of the misogynistic behavior as well. getting the flag gone - something i think only really ticked up in the last couple decades - is plain great.

6 Likes

nascar

19 Likes

Buh bye

Cry babies these racists are turning out to be. Do they want to race or fly flags?

20 Likes
1 Like

Oh, they make some money still.

1 Like

If they don’t have people in the stands for the races yet anyway, this might be good timing. Any ‘boycott’ will be forgotten by the time they can hold events with a full crowd.

1 Like

While the stars and bars is on the way out, the final flag of the Confederacy will still be allowed, for those who want to celebrate their heritage.

22 Likes

Many racists are already using memes other than the Confederate battle flag (Pepe, etc.). I predict some arbitrary totem (Dont Tread On Me flag already gets heavy use) will be slotted in. And all racists will “know” that the DTOM flag stands in for the Confederate flag.

7 Likes

In fact they will be displaying it in every race to signal the last lap

EaLcPa3XkAcYm0F

2 Likes

The phrase that leaps to mind is “cutting off your nose to spite your face.”

2 Likes

You make this statement in your piece: “…a few of the losers are still sore about it, so they continue to display the flag on cars, …”

This statement implies that that flag is flown for “heritage” reasons but that is the cover story and is not accurate. That flag went away after the war and only saw a resurgence when white supremacy saw a resurgence. EVERY SINGLE TIME in American history when white supremacy saw a resurgence, that flag was there.

Thus that flag is the flag of white supremacy. The “heritage” thing is the cover story, simply a pretense.

10 Likes

Boycott? Bullshit. Nascar is a lifestyle, not an entertainment choice.

1 Like

Weird. What gives? I think they’re still using one of the Confederate flags to signal the Final Lap.

1 Like

Washing them out would get rid of the traces of anti-freeze, but the main problem with using radiators in a moonshine still was the lead solder which would gradually leach into the product. Also, the product would inevitably be a bit sulphurous, if you’re using less copper in the set-up.

8 Likes

+1 Informative. Thank you!

3 Likes

Figure 8 racing strikes a nice balance between the two. You get the structure of racing with the destruction of a demolition derby.

5 Likes

They went on to say:

“A commitment that we’ve held dearly for so many days now. Surely y’all will understand.”

5 Likes

Bubba Wallace, racing today.

30 Likes