NASCAR banned the Confederate flag, prompting calls for a boycott

…and the banner of those enslavers that took up arms and declared war on the United States.

1 Like

Nah, that’s like saying the NFL boycott over Kaepernick would increase football coverage.
And by football I mean the non-American sport where you use a FOOT to move the BALL around (which we call soccer for some reason).

3 Likes

Ah, the more toes than teeth, knuckle dragging Republican Trumpster trailer trash crowd choosing racism over racing will not be missed.

1 Like

No, not at all like rolling coal.

Happily, I have never smelled rolling coal.

But I have distilled white lightning from fine red wine, and I want all the world to know that any wine you enjoy can readily be distilled into spirits you absolutely love.

Reminder: NASCAR only stopped using leaded gas in 2008, almost four decades after the rest of the USA.

3 Likes

My aunt and her family are huge race car fans. Back when I was a kid, they used to take me to races (not the big NASCAR races, but more local, smaller races). It was pretty fun, especially when they had demolition derby night… and her oldest son ended up going to school to be a mechanic and ended up working for BMW for a while, and he’s making a good living.

Roger that!

9 Likes

groans at the awful pun

1 Like

I haven’t liked seeing racing crashes since the weekend of 29 April-1 May 1994.

4 Likes

Ah, NASCAR - Drive fast, Turn Left. /rimshot

In all seriousness, though- My gearhead uncle had mentioned to me some years ago that if you like that sort of thing, you should attend one race in person, if only to experience the actual wall of sound that 20-30 cars with 750-800 horsepower engines produce as they fly by, along with the other sensory delights. (exhaust fumes, heat from all the dinosaur squeezings being burned, etc.) The best viewing seat is the one in your house in front of your television.

And while people do make fun of nascar, there is a remarkable amount of engineering that goes into the cars.

2 Likes

That is some next level bravery there!

5 Likes

So Ray Ciccarelli never won a NASCAR race, and only had a single top-10 finish. I guess that makes him the General Hood of NASCAR.

4 Likes

I’m already working on one, my first as I learn guitar during this doom year. I’m calling it “The Ballad of NASCAR and How It Turned to the Left, After My Wife and Dog Left Me and Took My Pickmeup Truck.”

6 Likes

Looks like he got the ball rolling on this…

June 9, 2020
Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr., the only African American driver in NASCAR’s top series, called on the stock car racing association to ban Confederate flags at its events.

“No one should feel uncomfortable when they come to a NASCAR race. It starts with confederate flags,” Wallace told CNN’s Don Lemon on Monday. “Get them out of here. They have no place for them.”

10 Likes

From a business standpoint, they should have just kept their mouth shut. Considering ticket buyers are 99.9% redneck they’re going to have to change their entire business model.

Good. Who cares if it’s 99 or 50 or 10%. The whole god damn point is to get businesses and corporations and the like to stop supporting racist symbols. If it bankrupts the organization because they refuse to do the right thing, who gives a shit. I suspect that people who are not racist shitbags will continue to support a sport they enjoy.

And, BTW, not all racists are “rednecks”. Trump was born and raised in NYC, hardly a hot bed of redneck culture. Racism is, once again, a nation-wide problem, not one confined to places where people have little money, resources, support, or education.

13 Likes

Yep. Trump support among upper middle class white suburbanites (many of whom fear “the blacks” and “illegals”) has been huge. And the racism of many women in such areas is so strong it helps them overlook trump’s odious sexism.

(All of which I know you know. As is so often the case when we reply to someone, I’m actually spelling this out for others.)

6 Likes

What’s next, gasoline ban?!

/s

1 Like

3 Likes
4 Likes

Right? And then there are people like Trae Crowder:

Or Beau of the Fifth column:

Or Redneck Revolt:

8 Likes