NASCAR banned the Confederate flag, prompting calls for a boycott

First and most importantly, sometimes doing the right thing is more important than short-term business interests.

Second, in the long term this could actually be a very good step for NASCAR’s business strategy. Think of all the potential fans out there who might enjoy the sport and spectacle but not the celebration of racism. Now there’s one less barrier for minorities and non-racist white people to join the scene.

6 Likes

Oddly, most of the NASCAR fans in the online cesspools I frequent seem to think it’s well overdue.

4 Likes

9 Likes

10 Likes

I’m pretty sure a lot of aviation fuel is still leaded.

1 Like

Sweeeeeeet. . . .

1 Like

3 Likes

Indeed! There was a fair amount of radical labor well into the 20th century in the south, which got brutally crushed over the years.

Race came to play a major role in delegitimizing labor in the south… see how this worked in practice here:

But there was also cases of cross racial alliances, especially with the Populist movement, where some attempted to bring in black sharecroppers into the movement. When the democratic party co-opted their politics, that pretty much squashed that.

7 Likes

Lead is an octane booster. It makes sense to use it in high compression, high output motors.

Yes. And it tastes “sweeeeeet.”

when i was young and in the South the difference was between rednecks and good-ole-boys.

Like, “Rednecks throw their empties onto the highway, while good-ole-boys throw them into the bed of their pickup trucks.”

Djimon Hounsou reacts to the news that Ray Ciccarelli is quitting:

4 Likes

Ouch! That had to hurt. But good for NASCAR dealing out the pain!

tenor (25)

1 Like

That’s a meme from a satire account. Neither tweet was actually posted by the parties involved.

2 Likes

Aww man, you spoil all the fun…

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.