Natalie Portman's Oscars outfit was embroidered with the names of women directors who were shafted for nominations

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/09/natalie-portmans-oscars-outf.html

14 Likes

Céline Sciamma most definitely got shafted. Portrait of a Lady on Fire was an incredibly subtle work (reminiscent of a feminist Patrice Leconte), and it seems quite fitting for a misogynist nomination panel to dislike it for its themes of patriarchal oppression.

15 Likes

Also, sooo many butthurt fee-fees in Amy Kaufman’s comments thread.

7 Likes

Also lots of just-world fallacies: “If they weren’t nominated, they weren’t good directors. QED.”

9 Likes

Subtle, yet forceful.

4 Likes

Good on her.

Having one’s protest embroidered on to a Dior Cape sounds Absolutely Fabulous!

4 Likes

“A stampede of self congratulations” , that’s how I describe the Oscars. Those Women are better off without the tin statue.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Does the other side of her gown list the names of the male directors who should not have been nominated?

1 Like
  1. Hollywood is full of hypocrites.

2. The trolls love to point this out, and the champions of various rights love to eat their own.

3 Likes

I think she can speak for herself. If she wanted to say shafted, she would have said shafted. Otherwise she wouldn’t have listed 8 directors on her outfit when only 5 get nominated. She’s a damn smart woman. She knows math. This is the list of women she wants to recognize.

5 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. What should the quota be and how should it be organized? What is the smallest quanta she feels appropriate?

That would have been awesome.

Oh. I see.

Only 5 women have ever been nominated for the Academy Award for Best Director

Five out of probably about 400 nominees.

So, maybe the names of the five men who clearly were snubbed in a misguided sense of political correctness?

/fing s

6 Likes

Or maybe the women who lost were very good but just not good enough that year but if not, which of the male directors should have been left off the list in the past? This entire “debate” is incredibly pointless because it will never end. If you somehow magically induce parity (let’s say 50-50, assuming there is an equal number of male and female directors, which I know is totally irrelevant to the groups pushing for parity outcome), then people will demand different percentages of skin pigmentation and cultural identities and any of the other myriad ways humans delight in erasing individual identity. Where do you draw the line?
Ironically, you draw the line at the individual. And we can’t have that.

How is that even a criticism? She is literally a performer by profession.

11 Likes

“Won’t SOMEONE think of the poor male directors who might get less recognition if we moved even a tiny bit closer to gender parity??”

11 Likes

Portman’s gesture deserves more than a quick jerky pan.

I know. This preference for white guys functions to erase their individual identity. They’re all just part of the group who won by playing with loaded dice. It undermines their individual achievements and makes their awards participation trophies.

Just interchangeable white guys who were going to get recognized anyway. The soft bigotry of low expectations.

13 Likes

Did Eddie ever tag along with Saffron to a protest?

1 Like

Right? I mean, just imagine the brilliance that would have been produced by theses talented white men if they had really had to struggle? We’ve been deprived of that true greatness because they had to go through life in easy mode.

It’s a shame.

9 Likes