Navy: Service members in "Make Aircrews Great Again" patches during Trump Japan visit may have violated regulations

They’d have to pay for the rights, or something?

Is it just me or are we getting really damn close to that other red logo? Although that’s usually worn on an armband…

2 Likes

I think we triggered the snowflake :crazy_face:

5 Likes

On the other hand, the Pentagon has been attempting to deal with climate change for years and would dearly love not being dependent on fossil fuels. On yet another hand, there was Gen. Stubblebine (NOT a name from Dr. Strangelove) who went after Manuel Noriega with not only normal things but the occult also. It bothered him that he hadn’t quite figure out how to walk thru walls. I dunno. Give me Gen. Stillwell from WWII any day.

1 Like

They’ll be in trouble if those patches are not licensed and money ends up in a Trump-owned coffer.

5 Likes

I’d be concerned about the airworthiness of those aircraft.

5 Likes

Why do they have such a low opinion of themselves? Do they not feel that US Naval aircrew are already great? Why would they be proud of not being great?

9 Likes

You know that’s what I couldn’t figure out about the whole Trump campaign. Who were/are these Americans who somehow think/thought that America is not a great country and elected this travesty of a President?

BOT: Both the aircrews and their commanding officers will be getting at least Article 15’s for ignoring the UCMJ prohibition on partisan political acts while in uniform.

6 Likes

Exactly. My (very limited) understanding of morale patches is that they don’t overtly stray into party politics.

5 Likes

“Don’t want none o’ thet new-fangled e-lek-trissity!” - Trump, marine engineer.

4 Likes

Exactly. You’d think the flag-waving Fox-News-viewing jingos would understand that this is a clear violation of a rule that’s in place for important reasons, disturbing no matter which politician’s or party’s symbol is being displayed. Ultimately, though, the troops are just as much props for these chickenhawks as they are for Cadet Bonespurs.

A lot of them are mediocre white men who want to return to the “good old days” when their position in society and in the economy was ensured by the colour of their skin and their gender. It’s a measure of what insecure losers they are that they don’t see things are largely still that way even now.

7 Likes

"DOD has a longstanding policy of encouraging military personnel to carry out the obligations of citizenship,” an explanation of Pentagon regulations states. “However, [active-duty] members will not engage in partisan political activities and all military personnel will avoid the inference that their political activities imply or appear to imply DOD sponsorship, approval or endorsement of a political candidate, campaign or cause.”

Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, in recent years has routinely reminded servicemembers that the military is an apolitical institution and their sworn oath is to the U.S. Constitution and not to a politician or political party. Additionally, troops are barred from publicly supporting any candidates for office – including the presidency – or conducting other political activity while in uniform, by the 1939 Hatch Act.

Retired Army Lt. Gen. Mark Hertling, who commanded troops in Iraq and Europe before retiring in 2012, wrote on Twitter that the patches were “inappropriate [and] against regulation.”

8 Likes

Cadet Bonespurs weighs less than an F-18, yes?
Just thinking aloud…

13 Likes

Yes, but shit is antimagnetic.
… maybe some sort of steel harness?

3 Likes

With ballast. For balance, obviously.

7 Likes

If these guys are to be punished, they should receive no worse than the treatment meted out to the ones who wore MAGA caps.

1 Like

The MAGA slogan, now the official KKK morale patch, has no business being on a military uniform in any shape or form.

11 Likes

I think a whole bunch of marine engineers just died alittle on the inside.

1 Like

Wow, these guys are stupid. There are myriad ways they could have shown support for Chump that would have flown under the radar, so to speak. Putting MAGA and a bad portrait of him on a big red patch on your arm? Yeah, that ain’t it.

2 Likes

No shit! I’ve had students NOT express a political opinion (in class, off duty, etc) because of regulations!

5 Likes