NBC's attempt to court rightwing audience blows up in its face

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/25/nbcs-attempt-to-court-rightwing-audience-blows-up-in-its-face.html

9 Likes

The genius executives at NBC News somehow managed to miss the fact that hiring a spreader of misinformation and habitual liar might hurt their brand goodwill.

43 Likes

But… but… BOTH SIDES!!! Or something… /s

36 Likes

Yes, having representation from the political party that is self destructing is surely going to work out great.

18 Likes

who gives a fsck about rights to repuglican debates? especially since the orange coward didn’t attend any. So the RNC is ok with trading media rights for employment opportunities?

17 Likes

She’s deleting her old tweets, so it’s all good.

https://www.meidastouch.com/news/ronna-romney-mcdaniel-past-tweets-come-back-to-haunt-her-ahead-of-nbc-appearance

Or not.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article said McDaniel had deleted these tweets. This, as of now, does not appear to be accurate. Rather, the search function of X/Twitter is broken, making it impossible to find a large amount of content posted on the platform.

28 Likes

I was surprised how vitriolic Chuckles Todd was about this move on Meet the Press yesterday. I listened to Kristen Welker’s interview with McDaniel on the show, and I was shaking my head the whole time. I hope whoever hired McDaniel is fired. She’s an unrepentant shill for Trump world (ie. a traitor) and doesn’t deserve to have her views on anything heard on a major network. Or anywhere.

27 Likes

If she let’s Maddow interview her then that would be worth watching.

13 Likes

Yeah, maybe they’ll form a club with Chris Licht and other GOP suck-ups in the mainstream media…

17 Likes

I’m glad it’s getting pushback, but contrary to the headline, I definitely don’t see a decision getting very valid and rather measured dissent as “blowing up in their face.”
Maybe it still will, it should, but as of this reading, nothing has really blown up in anyone’s face. Hardly anyone even has the proverbial egg on their face.

17 Likes

I would not be offended by a diversity of viewpoints. That is obviously crucial to getting a full understanding of an issue. But since the news media can only seem to do TWO viewpoints, it makes no sense at all to me that one of those viewpoints has been shown to be lies.

It’s lies on top of lies. It’s lies all the way down. The ‘fairness doctrine’ has been out the window for decades. I don’t know what YOU learned in journalism school, but I bet one thing you must have missed is that you aren’t obligated legally or ethically to publicize LIES just because you want “both” sides.

28 Likes

Or, you know, their basic credibility.

14 Likes

We don’t need to hear from fascists. They have nothing worth considering in political discourse.

24 Likes

In fact, I’d say that any viewpoints that have been shown to be lies should be left out. Including them doesn’t add to understanding, but rather muddies things up.

20 Likes

But you never get a diversity of viewpoints from the media. You get centre-right to far-right viewpoints, with the occasional centre-left viewpoint nutpicked from the worst possible choices.

Then people wonder why we ended up with Trump.

25 Likes

I mean, its Comcast, what do you expect?

4 Likes

Nobody’s wondering. Billionaire network owners don’t want to pay their share of taxes, so they display the Grand Stupid Party candidates. And as billionaire media owners are also are the worst Dunning-Kruger morons there are, they’re far too short sighted to understand that a healthy economy is what gives them the most profits, not the lowest taxes.

12 Likes

I love how PennyRed puts it: “Fascists don’t come to the marketplace of ideas to shop.”

23 Likes

I can’t find the puke emoji.

13 Likes

That’s a funny way to spell “bribe.”

12 Likes