Neil Patrick Harris in a movie about Gen X nostalgia seems perfect

Originally published at: Neil Patrick Harris in a movie about Gen X nostalgia seems perfect | Boing Boing

I am gen X. Nostalgia is for boomers.

8 Likes

Says, “SpeedRacer”.

15 Likes

Does it still count as nostalgia if it is laced with irony and possible hints of Stockholm Syndrome? Asking for a friend.

6 Likes

theory proven

3 Likes

6 Likes

This just might work. I’m not going to hold my breath for Christmas Story grade nostalgia (with the Nintendo replacing the official Red Ryder, carbine action, 200-shot, range model air rifle, with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time), but I’ll be watching the reviews.

4 Likes

looks fun. Not High Grade, even your kids watch it, everyone quotes it , Christmas Story - but looks fun

Must be italian. Fra-Gile!

2 Likes

Fun fact: The house from A Christmas Story is open for tours and people can spend the night there.

https://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/

1 Like

i’m leading-edge Gen-Xer, so this is me, but if you swapped the Nintendo with an Atari 2600. either way, i get it – and it looks like an Instant Holiday Classic™ to me.

7 Likes

Weird thing. I grew up in a very rural area which didn’t have cable until well after I moved out. I never saw speed racer until I was in my 30s.

So. Uh. Yeah. I’m gen X. Nostalgia is for the boomers.

1 Like

Movie looks good, and would have been better with less spoilers from the preview.

1 Like

Me too, man.
atari-adventure

3 Likes

Been there done that, didn’t spend the night but the tour and museum are cool.

They also have a 5k and 10k that starts in Cleveland and ends at the house around Christmas, it’s on our bucket list.

2 Likes

I was born in 1964, I thought I was the last of the Baby Boomers until everyone wanted their own label.

That was also the era of family planning. I’m in the middle of two siblings, we were born almost exactly 2 years apart separated by just a couple weeks.

It’s funny watching my 36 year old get nostalgic. I got her a R2-D2 Tomagotchi for Christmas this year. She also enjoys Echo The Dolphin on an original Sega Game Gear. It can also be played on an emulator.

I remember well the year she had to have a special Cabbage Patch Doll that was sold out everywhere. I got one. Not easy without the internet.

I think this movie is just a modern A Christmas Story. I may have to get my HBOMax subscription back and take a look.

the thing is, i am pretty sure in watching that GIF that i still remember everything needed to do to in Adventure to win that game. not like it was hard, but still. i played that game for many, many hours. even found the (first) easter egg behind the wall, had the bat carry me everywhere, found the secret rainbow pixel… on and on. i have sound files from that game on my phone for some things. Adventure (and Pitfall) forever!

3 Likes

Ah, Pitfall. I used to amuse my friend when we were playing it by stopping at the campfire rather than jumping over it and saying “come, lad, warm your hands by the fire”.

4 Likes

i once made a map of the entire Pitfall route on graph paper, drawing it all out. it took many many more sheets of paper than i was expecting when i started.

1 Like

And hast thou slain the Jabberwock ?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
He chortled in his joy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.