Neo-fascist presidential candidate Marine Le Pen says France was not complicit in rounding up Jews

Ah, I was unclear. I didn’t intend to state categorically that ‘no baton had passed’ - I meant to say that even if there were no direct material link, the fact of ideological descent could still not be ignored.

2 Likes

[quote=“angusm, post:9, topic:98743”]
Yes. That is exactly what is being implied. She’s leaving it in very much in question that anyone was responsible, but if somebody was, then it was those in power at the time, not “France”.[/quote]
Well, that particular wording is common enough that it could be an innocent form of emphasis but… Given her (heck, her whole family’s) track record of underhanded use of language, I’m not prone to give her the benefits of the doubt.

Heard back from 10 more French Jews, one bothered by this but not in the way anyone here is.

Can you tell us how they differed from those of us here expressing concerns? Also, did the people who didn’t care say why they didn’t care about the statement? Thanks.

6 Likes

Well… it turns out that guy is a conspiracy theorist… Very complicated and I suspect the full force of the conspiracy cant be contained in English and I didnt ask him to explain in French. Lets leave it at that.

Basically its about “la France” and that the collaborationist govt wasnt really representative of “France”.

As for me I’m still amused with @doctorow’s take on this.

Okay. Thanks.

Because she’s the victim here.

9 Likes

Ah, she is but a blameless sparrow leading a party of blameless sparrows, not like those nasty ducks who flocked together with those Nazi geese. They weren’t legitimate: everyone knows that sparrows are the very soul of la France.

B’en, tant pis pour elle. Le Front National looks like a duck, swims like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, has done since her daddy’s time. It’s probably not a Cornish hen, much less a sparrow.

10 Likes

Her choice of the word “crucify” is quite telling, given the holiday and the persistent opinion of many of her followers concerning which group was responsible for the original event being evoked (hint: for them it isn’t the Romans).

Of course, we’re long past Biblical times and the group they blame has nothing to fear from far-right politicians who focus on issues such as immigration and national identity in 2017, amirite?

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.