Neoconservative's analysis: Donald Trump, elites, and the GOP's future

6 Likes

'I’m shocked! Shocked to find that gambling is going on in here! ’ When the Republicans recruited the paranoid John Birchers, the science-denying fundamentalists and the southern bigots in order to win in the late 70s they planted the seeds of the monstrosity their party has become. This analysis is not new. To paraphrase the political blogger, Driftglass, “the left has been taking shit for being right since before you were born.” Driftgalss’ blog

9 Likes

9 Likes

I know where you’re coming from. Frum was the right wing rat who was smart enough to desert the sinking ship ahead of the rest. That’s why I’ll be forwarding Cory’s article and not Frum’s original piece.

4 Likes

@doctorow @William_Holz @albill

Using ‘democrat’ when ‘Democratic’ is meant makes one sound Republican or ignorant or both.

3 Likes

The law should be amended so people can go to jail for the lies and deception Frum and his warmongering neocon allies advocated and carried out in Iraq.

People, both military and civilian died for no reason.

6 Likes

Great idea Hillary_Rettig

I agree

If you are talking about definitions being used incorrectly that is one thing–but correcting grammar in a debate forum (especially when despite the wrong grammar, you clearly understand what the poster us conveying, is misguided and not smart.

All of us make grammar mistakes, if a person is not careful, someone can flip the script and review his/her posts and surely find multiple grammar mistakes.

You can read award winning novels and find a grammar error.

3 Likes
  1. Using ‘democratic’ in the sentence could easily have confused people by implying that it meant ‘those who vote democratically’, not ‘those who vote for the democratic party’…so it was a completely appropriate time to use the word. Not all of us let the asshats take over the language.
  2. Our friend ‘hoopyhoop’ decided to throw in …[quote=“hoopyhoop, post:19, topic:71226”]
    Please don’t be as stupid as the Republicans who insist upon using a noun where an adjective is called for.
    [/quote]
    Which is a pretty sanctimonious way to make the observation.

And it’s a completely unreasonable thing to say and there’s no good reason to say it. I mean, put ‘democratic’ that sentence and see what happens.

2 Likes

…using its dominance in state legislatures to suppress Democrat voters…

I don’t agree that ‘Democratic’ not better here. What @doctorow means is ‘voters who might support Democratic candidates.’ That’s what he should have written.

I do agree that @hoopyhoop was a bit more acerbic than necessary, but since the usage s/he points out is intended to annoy, I’d let it go. Maybe everyone involved was unaware of this, but they are aware now.

From the link I posted:

New Yorker commentator Hendrik Hertzberg wrote, "There’s no great mystery about the motives behind this deliberate misnaming. ‘Democrat Party’ is a slur, or intended to be—a handy way to express contempt.

Calling someone a democrat seems to me to be about as effective a slur as calling someone a liberal.

Those are good things.

5 Likes

Yeah, but I think the majority of folks here have heard of Rush Limbaugh…not all of us are big on letting him take over the language.

That’s no reason to be all jerkworthy in a post where it obviously wasn’t meant as a slur or a slam. Intent matters and it was a poorly implemented attempt to ‘educate’.

2 Likes

In the Age of Instant Outrage, everything can be constructed to be interpreted as a slur.

The only way to not “insult” anybody is to keep mouth shut. (And then you get accused of not speaking up in favor of $whatever, with different pressure groups having different and often mutually exclusive $whatevers.)

3 Likes

UMMMM although both current political parties trace their roots back to early factions within the first federal government. The 2 party system, and political parties in general aren’t mentioned in the constitution or many of the really early stuff that established how things work here. They weren’t deliberately baked into our government structure. In fact a number of the Founding Fathers (including Washinton IIRC) strongly advocated against political parties, and viewed them as anti-democratic. Where the parties and the 2 party system are embedded in government structure its in things like election laws, Congressional procedural rules, and the parties own rules for picking candidates and determining platforms etc. And it all was created quite a bit later. So I don’t think this is a place where the Founding Fathers “got it wrong”.

1 Like

Zzzzzzzzzzz

1 Like

Getting back to the topic, I did not appreciate, before reading Frum’s piece, just why immigration is such a big deal to the Tea Party right. It’s not a big deal (IMO) in terms of objective numbers, but they find it offensive because it and related issues represent the unworthy getting something they supposedly don’t deserve. A crabs-in-a-bucket, zero sum game kind of outlook. The Wall Street right cheerfully encourages this kind of thinking, because the only way to fix it would be to reverse the flow of redistribution.

3 Likes

Which was exactly my point. They didn’t predict the issue the ‘one person one vote’ system would inevitably create.

They did a good job with what they had, but I was saying it in the ‘we shouldn’t be worshiping a failed system’ sense. We have new data now.

3 Likes

David Frum is a douchebag, but he’s a smart douchebag. Anyone who is looking to get an intellectualized understanding of GOP sentiments, should read his work. He is an expert at creating a well argued and iron-clad opinion piece by cherry-picking the data he wants to use. (See any of his articles on why we should prevent Syrian immigrants from migrating to North America.)

I just find it fascinating to me to read someone who so intelligently explains reality in a completely different way than I see it. And, yes, this also makes him dangerous when people read his articles without a skeptical mind.

12 Likes

Vote for Trump

Are you a Republican or a Democrat? Aren’t Republicans also democratic voters in a democracy? If one can be either a Republican or a Democrat, then one is either a Republican voter or Democrat voter. I think the usage was fine IMHO.

1 Like