Netflix announced an animated series based on Dr. Suess's Green Eggs and Ham

The Star-Belly Sneetches and The North-Going Zax and the South-Going Zax were pretty decent.

3 Likes

I mean, to be honest, the trailer is as annoying as many animated series (or movie) trailers these days, with lots of fast cuts, a sense of ‘trying too hard to be funny’, and a way-too-energetic pop song. But it’s just a trailer, and they’re often a terrible representation of the tone of the show. I’m hoping the actual series will be worthwhile.

2 Likes

i share many of the reservations others have voiced, but i laughed out loud when sam offered his condolences to the vegan

1 Like

sam just needs to open his mind to an already green breakfast of salad and avocado toast!

5 Likes

Okay, fair enough; you got me.

I did forget about those animations, and they are good.

That still supports my point about the source material, though; it’s fine for short clips, but there’s just not enough ‘there’ there to fill an entire two hours, let alone eight or ten of them.

7 Likes

maybe this will end up being one of those dark gritty reboots?

“soylent is the greenest green if you know what i mean? tastes as green as the people you’ve seen.” said hannibal the cannibal. “take a seat and eat a thing or two.”

5 Likes

From the sound of things, they’re using the book more as a jumping-off point – it’s basically going to be “Planes Trains & Automobiles” meets “Midnight Run”, so while it starts out about eating green eggs & ham, things get more and more out of control for the odd couple. (source)

2 Likes

It’s good for you. It’s just some stew. It’s not made of you, so don’t complain. Don’t pour it down the drain. Once was old, is new. Eat some stew. It’s good for you.

3 Likes

I would smoke it in a boat!
And I would smoke with a goat…
And I will smoke it in the rain.
And in the dark. And on a train.
And in a car. And in a tree.
It is so good so good you see!

part_of_a_healthy_green_diet

7 Likes

I’d never smoke with the cat in the hat.
But Sam is pretty chill.

4 Likes

The originals are just so good, they have a lot of charm and character. I never got around to seeing The Lorax but i did like Horton Hears a Who, however i would really like to see Dr Seuss’ stuff go back to 2D animation. I’m sure 3D is easier in comparison but it just doesn’t have the same look and feel.

1 Like

But would you smoke it with a rat?

1 Like

One of the most authentic adaptations of a Seuss book was Ralph Bakshi’s version of The Butter Battle Book. It’s pretty much a straight page-to-screen adaptation and keeps the style of the original illustrations beautifully.

2 Likes

I think what kills these newer movies for me is that the movies even when done well on a technical level have no soul and personality to them. Dr Seuss’ drawings are fantastically weird and these perfect 3D renditions of his artwork look pretty good but don’t have the same vibe. I’m not saying that they shouldn’t make them, i’m happy they exist even… but i would like to see it done again in 2D

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.