Netflix announced an animated series based on Dr. Suess's Green Eggs and Ham

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/01/netflix-announced-an-animated.html

2 Likes

The character design looks extremely authentic to the original book.

4 Likes

11 Likes

Let’s take something special, unique, and magical, and turn it into a cookie cutter, completely predictable sequence of tropes pretending to be a story.

6 Likes

Or… and this is crazy… it might end up being really special and fun!
Have you watched the series yet? Neither have I!
I’d much rather actually watch something before assuming it’s “cookie cutter” or “predictable”.

2 Likes

nope

I do not like Green Eggs and Ham.*

* Based entirely on the trailer: the music, animation style, and the meter of the lines look to make me cringe. That said “I’m the other brains” is a good line. Also: @nungesser has a point. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The author’s make is misspelled twice on the BB post, in the title and in the tag. It’s Dr. Seuss

7 Likes

Sigh…

How does an S.O.B. joke have any rightful place in something based on Green Eggs and Ham (the angry mouse at 27 seconds in)?!?

Would you like it better on Amazon?
Or maybe with some Grey Poupon?

14 Likes

You go first.

2 Likes

When making green eggs and ham, I always mention that the magic ingredients are pesto and Parmesan.
(No one has ever turned it down when informed.)

9 Likes

Muphry’s law in action;)

3 Likes

Sick rhymes, yo! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Grey%20Poupon%2C%20Wayne's%20World

7 Likes

My grandmamá made me green eggs and ham unexpectedly one Saturday morning, and I was thrilled to bits.

6 Likes

Shh! Do you want to get sued? :shushing_face:

5 Likes

I don’t like that the nameless character now has a name.

1 Like

The only Dr. Seuss adaptation I can honestly say I enjoyed was the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas short as told by Chuck Jones.

A big part of that was the brevity—the Chuck Jones short was 26 minutes compared to 105 minutes for the Jim Carrey version and 86 minutes for the 2018 CGI version. There’s just no way to adapt a short story for early readers into a feature-length film or ongoing series without adding a LOT of filler.

5 Likes

Right? That one is the best, by far.

The Lorax & Horton Hears a Who were okay, but everything else has been pretty bad.

Frankly, there’s just not enough material in any of Seuss’s well loved stories to justify full length feature presentations, let alone an entire series.

8 Likes

i’m seeing a lot of what will either come across as “sweetness” or “trying too hard”. I’ll likely give it a chance, ;-), to see if i like it.

2 Likes