Netflix previews Avatar: Last Airbender series

Originally published at: Netflix previews Avatar: Last Airbender series | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I’m not very enthusiastic over this. I hope it does well, and i’d be interested if it has something new to bring to the table beyond it being a live action copy-paste of an already excellent show. To me the only weak part of the animated series is season 1 being a slog to get through because its focus was more of a kid-friendly plot but S2 and S3 were solid, and absolutely love how it ends. If they can improve on S1’s story telling and add some of the side stories that were released in printed form then it’s got a fair chance.

7 Likes

Yeah, I figure the last four episodes are some of the finest TV ever aired, and from a children’s show? Wow.

8 Likes

Show me cabbage man then we’ll comic-book-guy

(to comic-book-guy is an intransitive verb)

8 Likes

It’s incredible, and how the conflict is resolved by Aang is a stroke of pure genius.

5 Likes

I would watch this, but Netflix will cancel it after 1 season, or perhaps 2, and leave me hanging. No thanks.

5 Likes

Don’t forget that his offspring also catches the short end of things in Legend of Korra:

Avatar Korra arrives in Republic City and begins investigating the Equalist terrorist organization, Cabbage Corp is accused of making weapons for the Equalists and Lan is arrested, but it is revealed later that Cabbage Corp was framed by their rival company Future Industries, and Lan eventually returns to run the business

Source

6 Likes

I don’t have much interest in this, but I’ll admit that casting Paul Sun-Hyung Lee as Uncle is a good move.

5 Likes

I’ll go with your suggestion, mainly because I don’t know anything about the current cast, but they’ll need to kick it up a notch to wash the bad taste of the last live action adaptation out of my mouth, let alone approach the original.

2 Likes

The actor started in Kim’s Convenience, so he has the comedy chops for Iroh. He also plays a recurring character on the various Star Wars streaming series, an X-wing pilot and frontier ranger, so he also can portray Uncle’s more badass side. And of course he’s Asian, which is must-have change from Shymalan’s disaster.

That said, I still don’t think a live-action series is needed – even if they give The Rock a cameo as The Boulder (just my guess). The original was so perfect and the animation afforded its creators the freedom to bring their visions to life however they wanted.

6 Likes

Yeah - I’m trending on the pessimistic side of things due to the original showrunners leaving the live action remake.

2 Likes

I have so much respect for this guy. I remember when he was in a show called Train 48 or something like that about commuters in the GTA. It was a relatively bad show, but I think a good chunk of it was improvised. He would turn up at really low-level comic cons in Toronto around the same time because of that show.

Watching him grow into someone who’s been in a Star Wars show has been so satisfying (I’m not discounting Kim’s Convenience, which was excellent, but I always love seeing people go beyond a hit on the CBC).

2 Likes

I kinda think this needs to happen

4 Likes

Their involvement would likely make the show better, but with the vague statements it’s hard to see through the corporate/lawyer-speak on what happened. The show is still getting made so we’ll hopefully know what the disagreement was at some point, but no matter what at least i’m glad they’re getting an animated Avatar movie made.

2 Likes

not gonna lie, i will watch this.
that young lady playing Azula had better bring a geniuine A+ level of evil to convince me to stay.
oh, and Iroh looks great! (my favorite character).
Appa and Momo better be good, too.

4 Likes

In this intro picture, she looks so put together and nice…I hope it’s because their plan is to juxtapose this with her going batshit crazy and become the true, unhinged Azula we all know and love.

4 Likes

i’m guessing this is season one Azula - still young, but her inherent bad-girl will show through in some of her otherwise routine daily actions (tormeting turtleducks comes to mind).

2 Likes

My son watched the full run, then watched it again and then watched the last 3-4 episodes on a loop every day getting ready for school for a while. Really it was incredible and what I loved the most was how deeply my son connected with it emotionally. He was probably around 5-6 at the time.

It is really an incredible animated series

6 Likes

If the test screening for Uncle Iroh, was anything other than that sad song he sings about his dead son, they are doing it wrong…

:sneezing_face: :sob:

1 Like

Several!

2 Likes