Netflix ruins Gen X mens' childhoods twice in one year with trailer for new 3D-animated kids' He Man show

And just like that, I’ve got an ear worm.

8 Likes

I liked the Smith reboot. Would watch more.

Can’t say I like the aesthetics of this one particularly. At least they didn’t try to Thundercats - Roar! it.

Ariel! Ookla! Ride!

3 Likes

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, Netflix ruined all childish things.

– 1 Corinthians 13:11 (reboot)

14 Likes

I was wondering who would hear the theme song in their minds after I posted that.

^_^

5 Likes

everyone GIF

8 Likes

Well… it definitely looks targeted more to kids than GenX. Very much a “How to Train Your He-Man” vibe…

1 Like

Same here.
giphy

download

3 Likes

It looks like someone had an idea for a sci-fi anime but not a good story so used He Man and “modernized” it.

That said, meh, sure I’d give it a watch. I’m actually happier it’s more divergent from the source cartoon as when you see just a thing or two changed it feels more jarring.

1 Like

Look, call me old fashioned, but having women in the story just distracts from the blatant well muscled homoeroticism that we came for.

8 Likes

I have spent the better part of my 49 years screaming “Ariel! Ookla! Ride!” Nobody ever get’s it, but I amuse myself.

5 Likes

There’s at least a dozen of us who saw the show!

It was odder than the other ones on…which is probably why I enjoyed it.

2 Likes

I’ll just put this here

5 Likes

Obligs:

3 Likes

So…they got two different studios or groups to do He-Man revivals? Was this planned or they fired the Kevin Smith group and got the 3D studio on board right away? And produced it that quick?

not possible to write, model, script, record, and render that fast. in the words of Chairman Benny: the game was rigged from the start.

3 Likes

I see what people didn’t like about it, but I was disappointed when it was cancelled. Last year my kids and I really enjoyed sitting down together and marathoning those short episodes.

6 Likes

Holy crap… “1994?”

And then, 2000 years later…

Wow, I’d forgotten how dark (and scarily plausible) that first part of the intro was…

4 Likes

heres the thing ive come to accept about remakes, whether it be live action remakes of disney movies or star wars sequels or remakes of 80s cartoons… the original is still there. no one is deleting the original. if you are an 80s he man purist you can always go play with the old toys and watch the old cartoons. no one is “destroying your childhood”. And i say that as a kid of the 80s, born in 77, who was the prime He-man demographic and loved that stuff. (at the time… ive tried to watch those cartoons as an adult and they are unbearably bad. same with the smurfs which i also loved. ha)

5 Likes