Netflix ruins Gen X mens' childhoods twice in one year with trailer for new 3D-animated kids' He Man show

I’m sickened that this CG so-called He-Man isn’t even vaguely hot. How is that supposed to turn anyone gay?

1 Like

Yeah, if anything ruined our childhood, it was clinging to it too much. Instead of something up in the mental attic, it’s become a threadbare and worn-out by wrapping ourselves in it too much.

1 Like

I remember seeing this movie and hoping it would move into the “so bad its good” categorization, like Super Mario Bros. It never did. It’s just bad. So very bad.

Although my favorite part of the movie, the part that makes me laugh every time, is the completely unsubtle sequel hook at the end. These people made this and thought “oh yeah, we better prep for the next one!”

1 Like

Now THAT was a disappointing part of my childhood.

“WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT??”

I didn’t say that, but that is what I was thinking.

1 Like

That was basically the reaction of my group of friends when that came out. I rented it for my birthday the year it came out on video. We would have been the target demo when it came out and we made it maybe 5 minutes into the movie before deciding it was stupid and turning it off. I’ve still never seen it.

2 Likes

The beginning was pretty good. I wish it was more like that. At least it was a fantastic setting.

The intention was to have a nostalgia show for the old nerds and a separate one for the kids that stomped on the nostalgia nonsense, which i’m more than ok with.

1 Like

Meanwhile, no protest for how the original He-Man cartoon was a little more than cynical cash grab meant to drive sales for the toy line?

4 Likes

sad that they’d greenlight TWO He-Man ventures because…original content doesn’t cut it anymore apparently or is too much work.

So when do Kukla, Fran, and Ollie get their seven different simultaneous reboots?

I’m definitely in favor of new shows, reboots are pretty tiresome. I get that its less risky for investors and studios but i would prefer to see something new, which reminds me that there are definitely some shows animated that have come out the last couple of years that i need to start

1 Like

Meh. Nostalgia just isn’t what it used to be.

5 Likes

Netflix is investing in both, though. They have their cynical attempts to cash in on nostalgia as well as a number of cartoons that most of us don’t even notice unless we have kids.

This is true of all the things all of us like. I’m regularly amazed to learn some thing I loved as a kid was a remake of a B&W film from the 1930s or an old serial from Amazing Stories or whatever. Sometimes it turns out it was actually a modernized Shakespeare script and I had no idea (and I have a decent working knowledge of Shakespeare, or so I thought).

2 Likes

It never quite got there, but it has the odd highlight. The obscure nineties web zine Blair memorably described it as “Dolf and Courtney vs. The Scary Goth People at the Mall”

It’s no She-Ra reboot but looks ok. It could use more furry in it but that’s just me. Really aiming a bit younger than I care but that’s fine. That version doesn’t look gay enough for me.

Now THIS is a He-Man reboot I want:

7 Likes

I was pretty sure I knew what I was getting into with the title.

I was not prepared. 5 stars.

5 Likes

Okay, that was awesome; even if it was just a commercial.

7 Likes

And the bodysuits look so realistic…

5 Likes

One of my favourite TV programmes as a child was advocating for anarchism in the 1970s before I was born.

6 Likes

I just wanna know why Skeletor is rocking shades.

Also surprised that He-Man was leading as he’s clearly shorter.

2 Likes