Netflix will soon send its last DVDs in the mail. Still have some? You can keep 'em.

Originally published at: Netflix will soon send its last DVDs in the mail. Still have some? You can keep 'em. | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I gotta say, I have been going out of my way to collect DVDs for things I really love, now that streaming services have become thoroughly enshittified. I’m tempted to sign up for DVDs again just to join in the fire sale.

13 Likes

Musing about doing the same but …

Screen Shot 2023-08-23 at 22.11.16

(The red button leads, of course, to the same page.)

2 Likes

I tried signing in to see if they had my old queue… but it just wants me to signup for the service - doesn’t show if the queue still exists. I’d like to see the queue since a lot of things on it sounded interesting to me 7 years ago, but were never available via stream.

3 Likes

The priciest plan only lets you have three discs out at a time, so if you sign up now I don’t see how you could bilk them for eight.

1 Like

Netflix is waving that three at a time rule for this finale.

Thought it was 10 they were sending out on Sept 29. That is, if they have all 10 you have in your queue. No promises there.

2 Likes

My physical disk queue ran out of titles they actually had quite some years ago. So many titles still listed that they never back filled in again. Not available on streaming, and the one copy Netflix had probably got ripped off by somebody. Guess they didn’t believe in buying old disks off eBay sellers or Amazon storefronts.

The last video store in my area finally shut down mainly because so many of these new movie studios run by the tech companies don’t put out physical copies, so they had nothing new to rent out. He figured he could have kept going if only he could still buy physical disks.

1 Like

Now that Netflix’s film catalog has declined from around 100,000 titles to its current offering of around 6,000 streaming titles (many of them Netflix originals), I actually wonder if there might not be a market again for video rental shops.

Probably I’m giving the film-viewing public too much credit.

4 Likes

Video rental shops are still very much a thing here in Japan, so I don’t think it’s too farfetched.

4 Likes

But do people have players for them?

Computers haven’t had them in years and BluRay isn’t just plug and play.

Streaming compression is very annoying (no, it’s not my broadband, it’s theirs) and with the rise of brown on brown with brown barely their highlights palettes influenced by video game cards without the horsepower to render all the screen so let’s all live in an unlit murky underground compression has a field day. So I’d consider going back to BluRay but I doubt I’ll end up doing it.

2 Likes

In Berlin, I know of one, though there may be more hidden around…

2 Likes

A lot of people do have dedicated Blu-Ray players, but this is an area where video game consoles really shine. Even an old PS3 is perfectly capable of playing DVDs and Blu-Rays.

5 Likes

Would an older PS support the latest audio formats though? You might be watching with subtitles unless you have the appropriate mix dialled in.

2 Likes

Unless it’s a Japanese movie, watching with subtitles is already the norm.

3 Likes

Movies from my DVD queue still show up in my online queue when they become available streaming, so my suspicion is that the old DVD lists are stitll kicking around in our accounts somewhere.

I have four different accounts in my netflix, each with a username (not email) and password, all attached to a single email ID. I hit the max-dvd limit (yes, please add all 49 discs for seven seasons of show to to my queue) so I had to create multiple accounts and generally had all DVDs on a secondary accounts. Still don’t see any of the from the other accounts. It looks like these legacy accounts no longer exist, so perhaps I did lose the queue of hard-to-find-and-obscure stuff. I am happy that you still get still from your old queue though.

1 Like

Sure. Some of us even still have VHS players.

1 Like

But you don’t have a CD player right? They were always a stupid idea and died out really quickly.

Anyone want a thousand or so CDs?

Three four dedicated (counting the DiscMan), five in some combo-thing or other, and the one in the car. The DVD players will play them just as well, as will the computers.
Ireland is tentavely on the list for next year, so I might take you up on that offer.

1 Like

I do keep my records though. I’m trying to downsize on them gradually.

With CDs I lost a big box with several hundred in a flat move a long time ago and didn’t notice for a year or two…