Nevermind what Silicon Valley thinks of women, what the hell is Newsweek thinking?

He said “this is the real world buddy, toughen up your ass or it’ll break”.
I said “I’m not your buddy, buddy. And your ‘real world’ is a fake”.

The Waterboys

@OtherMichael

1 Like

Time for a game of Evo Psych Bingo!

7 Likes

Hmm… Is that what we said? This explains why I don’t listen to songs! I do instrumental music, or lectures, but songs instantly bug me out somehow. And I resent any implication that OtherMichael isn’t my buddy!

At least it jumpstarted the topic somewhat…

1 Like

Or, to save @Humbabella’s typing fingers, one could just go read Sexing the Body by Anne Fausto-Sterling, which is an eminently readable, yet data-packed (if you read the footnotes for the in-depth experience) book on why every attempt to reduce sex or gender to a physical binary is a complete and utter failure.

(I am fond of sharing her “Phall-o-Meter” in my Sex Therapy class.)

NOT TO SCALE:

7 Likes

Not at all. It’s a simplified statement to point out that what people see as their personal worldview is not necessarily how things actually are, whilst also taking a bit of a dig at modern society and its connection to reality, or other realities.
I listen to a lot of instrumental and lectures too, but there is a lot of concise poetry in many lyrics. The Waterboys being particularly observant on many issues.

No implications from me. I consider us all buddies. BB has possibly the most intelligent discourse of any board online. It’s not for the articles that I visit, but the analysis of them.
I was just quoting the lyric in context.

2 Likes

You are simply showing how many people want to make it in to the public consciousness and will spend time money and effort to do so. Whether it is actually accepted and becomes part of pop-culture is independent of the efforts of the creator(s).
Microsoft spent truckloads of money on research and marketing the Zune. Despite that effort, it’s position in pop-culture is that of a joke. No matter how much money you have or how hard you try, it is the collective public unconscious which creates the culture, not the designers wishing to be part.

3 Likes

That would be an even funnier, less horrific ruler if “SURGERY!” weren’t really a category that really meant surgery on a newborn’s genitals.

4 Likes

This is a great link, as any Frontline link would be (although I’m surprised you in particular would cite them, given their, ahem, associations…).

I’m not sure how showing that efforts to surveil the habits and moods of teenagers, a group with notoriously fickle group with un-formed frontal corticees directly supports your arguments. I admit to only reading the linked summary, but the summary argues that it’s difficult to pinpoint where specific moods and ideas begin, with marketing materials or with the teens themselves, so like you said, nothings coming from whole cloth.

But further, I don’t see why you would think that any of these marketers would be interesting in disassembling “your” culture in particular (we still don’t have the whitepaper on what that is exactly, but we know it’s roughly the opposite of the charter of the high council of Frankfurt…) All they’re selling is consumerism. If you’re arguing that in general, since teens are the targets and thus the shapers of this marketing, that it would tend to be “progressive” in the broadest sense of “doing the opposite of whatever your parent’s like,” that’s a pretty weak-sauce argument that there is a liberal conspiracy afoot here.

The summary also doesn’t point to an organized conspiracy. They point to individual companies pushing a narrative through their advertisers, but no suggestion that all advertisers are colluding to brainwash teens into a similar philosophical path. MTV doesn’t have a lock on all of teens ideas, even their ideas about what to buy. And if this ability existed, why wouldn’t this power be just as available to culture “preservers” such as yourself. In fact, your moniker suggests that your comments will be contrarian, a stance that fits into the marketing loop of “selling dissatisfaction” just as well as rebellious progressivism…

ETA: and apparently, not all marketers are selling dissatisfaction and anger… unless you consider this ad to be dissatisfact with the current state of anger…oh the levels!

4 Likes

Right? I know.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.