New ad reminds us that Greg Abbott isn't alone in his creepy views on women and rape

So, the sole aim of a political ad is to change the mind of hard-core ideological adversaries? Half of the Democrats’ problems are people not showing up to vote. Keeping the Democratic base involved (as well as swaying wavering Independents) and active is an equally useful aim.

10 Likes

Fair question.

Interesting that whatever ‘the beef’ actually may be, it led to a thorough derailment of a conversation that’s essentially about women’s rights and access to abortion…

Odd how that happens…

17 Likes

Thank you.

12 Likes

Agree. It’s useless to try to change a Trumpanzee’s mind. But it’s possible to motivate an apathetic Democrat.

13 Likes

Personally, while I do see the point that midastouch, and Lincoln republicans groups are still republicans, and still far to the right of my personal views, I still am happy to see that they exist. Because at least they aren’t totally fucking nazi crazy like the rest of the republican party. I may disagree with them on some policy and how the government should best serve the American people, but at least they still think we should have a democratic government, and that it should serve the American people, quite unlike the rest of the R party, which wants to eliminate democracy in favor of a theocratic banana republic dictatorship.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure he wasn’t dead when he said it.

GIF by Team Coco

20 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

Holy fucking hell. The fact that all these people made these statements as elected officials for the GOP (or running for the privilege of being such) and were not drummed out by their own party members tells you everything you need to know about said party.

As for this:

Do you know what an ad is? Ads for juicy fruit and Doritos are “ads” right? They’re from singular companies out to make money. That’s what most ads are.
Maybe you meant something else. If so, use better words, sir, bc taking that stance after seeing video of these real people saying this despicable stuff in their own words is quite suss.

22 Likes

I think that it is quite telling that we are even debating how much money MeidasTouch actually puts into producing and distributing these kinds of ads and where the rest of the money goes. I really cannot imagine people on the pro-Trump side saying something like, “Hey, don’t buy those ‘Where’s Hunter?’ t-shirts for 50 bucks! Only pennies of that actually goes to decrypting Hunter’s hard drive!” It is like comparing chess and checkers.

However, looking at the propaganda put out by the pro-Trump side: with its hysterical proclamations, dearth of facts and not-even subtle racism/sexism/xenophobia, where the “message” is either meant to spread through social media like a virus at no cost or a naked exhortation for money with no strings attached…I cannot see how they can be called the same.

2 Likes

(looks around) Is anyone here donating money to these folks? Anyone? Anyone at all? Bueller? Bueller?

Yeah, this whole long debate over it is a non-sequitur at Boing Boing. We aren’t giving ANY members of the grifting right our cash, no matter how many ads they post that we agree with. I believe firmly in the need to bleed the cash out of politics until the whole rotten system is as dry as the Sahara, because money has turned us from a teetering old democracy into one that is currently being toppled as we watch in horror. And the fuckers who made this video - which is truthful and full of FACTS and STATEMENTS made by the very people they’ve helped put in power - are equally to blame, even as they try to wash the blood off their hands with appeals like this.

So stop arguing. Let’s move on to watching how Jan Psaki disembowels another dumb right-wing reporter with her sharp tongue alone.

12 Likes

Presumably you meant to say Lincoln Project.

1 Like

Both of them, actually.

The brothers behind the MeidasTouch ads were never affiliated with the Republican Party and have shown no interest in promoting any Republican politicians or causes. Prior to this campaign Ben Meiselas was best known as the civil rights attorney who represented Colin Kaepernick.

Not really the same as the Lincoln Project.

14 Likes

King Midas was a famously greedy gold hoarder
And kept slaves, possibly, I don’t actually know much about Phrygian society in that respect
Anyway I’m afraid that means we shouldn’t pay attention to how horribly misogynist the Republican party is until we find another source completely free of sin
Sorry, ladies, but it’s more important to do things perfectly than to do them

(/s forever obviously)

15 Likes

You are of course welcome to make that video. But I don’t feel the need to pretend both parties are equal on this issue, even if disgusting attitudes towards sexual assault are widespread in our society.

8 Likes

Also, as far as messaging goes “let’s change society as a whole to be less patriarchal” would be kind of a useless ad since it doesn’t include a clear and direct call to action.

“Vote these rapist-apologist fuckers out of office RIGHT NOW” is a clear and direct call to action.

11 Likes

And your point. These are things actual Republican politicians said. Are you saying you agree with them?

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.