New and improved robot barber still looks pretty scary

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/23/new-and-improved-robot-barber-still-looks-pretty-scary.html

5 Likes
7 Likes

“dave would you like me to tidy that up with the straight razor?”…“no thank you Hal”

7 Likes

I had a robotic hysterectomy in January. Now THAT is a terrifying robot.

10 Likes

I love how casually brilliant he clearly is at this kind of work. “Oh, I just calculated the location on your hair in 3D space, and figured out how much hair to cut off, oh and I have 80 hours to re-write all the software before using it on a live stream” :smiley:

4 Likes

Agreed. It makes me appreciate the challenges faced by people in this profession even more. As this shows, it takes a lot of effort to get a good result.

4 Likes

Select a task depending on aesthetics, gazillions of tiny degrees of freedom, and random air currents; and aim some rigid gears and sharp objects (and software) on it: the road to fame and fortune!

(eh just shave it all off and screw on a wig - just like the Egyptians (make mine an ‘eWig’))

3 Likes

It certainly does suck:

1 Like

Yeah I had my left kidney (and a tumor) removed by a Da Vinci surgical system in July. Its just laparoscopic surgery, done by teleoperation. I don’t know about your experience but I remember nothing between being given anesthetic and waking up in the recovery area. The robot makes the procedure cleaner and more precise, and I am pleased they were able to do it that way.

2 Likes

Obligatory background music

1 Like

Yeah, we know what happens

3 Likes

That Charlie Chaplin clip was phenomenal!! Several legit guffaws and LOL’s. Genius.

I was hoping the ‘not practical…’ line at the end would follow up with a ‘…wasted too much of the food’ kicker.

1 Like

can we keep the word “carving” away from people’s heads please

1 Like

I eagerly await the laser-cut edition. And just imagine the application for trimming pubic hair into appealing patterns. Oops, sorry.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.