This man built a robot to cut his hair in quarantine

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/20/this-man-built-a-robot-to-cut.html

6 Likes

16 Likes

Looks like it is suckin’ his will to live, man.

9 Likes
6 Likes

That finished haircut, though…

3 Likes

Oh yes much safer. Putting a newly developed machine with sharp object right next to your head… sign me up.

9 Likes

Brilliant. For a prototype this was very well engineered. Now to scale up for mass production so I don’t ever have to piss off a barber again by telling him I don’t want any chat I just want him to focus on his job. :wink:

index

3 Likes

I need my ears unnecessarily and repetitively raked with a comb (WTF?), otherwise, it just isn’t a proper haircut

1 Like

“[…] it gave him a pretty great looking mullet!”

Contradictio in terminis.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Someone could have saved him a whole heap of trouble by simply telling him that the Flowbee exists.

He’s a sharp inventive guy who might want to focus on remote-haircutting (like from an isolated, adjacent room at the place of business), instead. Something that could be marketable. Barber chair with chin rest/brace to stabilize the customer’s head; 3D vision for the operator; remotely-operated spreader/cutter “hands” (with tactile feedback) for the operator; with one of the hands appropriately configured to accept tips. :wink:

1 Like

That is truly an expensive Flowbee.

1 Like

In my experience, you want to cut directly into the hair when you’ve pulled it straight out from your head, not perpendicular to it. I developed this technique by watching professionals cut my hair. Perpendicular is a recipe for getting a “mommy’s home haircuts when I was 6” style haircut. It is slow going, but that’s actually good because it forces you to slowly whittle away at the length instead of making drastic cuts. I would not trust a robot to do this as it would be easy to skewer your head.

I was broke as shit for a while, thanks to the recession and the fact the boomers have been fucking us economically / politically for decades, so I’m already used to doing this stuff myself. The back usually sucks, but whatever

Did he ever consider a laser? Mechanical cutting seems like a detour.

Some day they’ll be saying exactly the same thing about humans.

But maybe not quite yet.

Came here for this, wasn’t disappointed.

Every single haircutting gadget I ever see is advertised in my head as, “as you can see, it sucks as it cuts”

2 Likes

Oh, it definitely sucks.