Things I Miss: My friend Bob trying to convince people to try his Flowbee

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/01/things-i-miss-my-friend-bob-t.html

2 Likes

weird would not even begin to describe that.

10 Likes

But one day near Salinas, you let him slip away.

16 Likes

Simi Valley, iirc.

3 Likes

No shit.

1 Like
3 Likes

I’ve gotten haircuts at parties. Scissor cuts by buzzed hairstylists, not from a Flowbee. I’d be down to try one though.

1 Like

I had a haircutter once who finished up by running a ShopVac over me. I wonder why they don’t all do that.

2 Likes

An ex’s father used a flowbee to cut his own hair. Granted he kept his hair pretty short and could’ve just used clippers but i presume he was interested in the easy cleanup. Made sense. Can’t see the flowbee being practical for any other haircut.

1 Like

I got a haircut at a party once, many years ago.

me: "man, I need a haircut"
some guy: "I’ll cut your hair."
me: "really? You know how to cut hair?"
sg: “yeah, sure, sit down, somebody give me a scissors.”
<five minutes later>
sg: "oops"
me: "what? You said ‘oops!’"
sg: "I’m not sure what to do now!"
me: "you said you knew how to cut hair!"
sg: “yeah, but I always wanted to try it, and if I said I didn’t know how, you wouldn’t have let me.”

I started to get upset but then I remembered that was exactly how I learned to ride motorcycles. So kind of a great wheel of karma thing.

12 Likes

With vacuum powered razor sharp blades, this goes in the same box as lawn darts.

1 Like

I miss lawn darts…

2 Likes

I love Things I Miss. Also? I love how terrible this commercial is - with the vacuum cleaner running at full volume in the background and exactly ONE LADY in it.

I kind of miss them too. They were fun. I totally get why they went away, but hell, I miss the back seats in Subaru Brats as well.

5 Likes

Have you ever heard of the Chicken Tax? Apparently that’s why the Subaru Brat had those weird plastic seats - it was to make the truck into a sedan (and this didn’t fly, btw) for tariff reasons. Planet Money did a great podcast about it: http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2017/01/25/511663527/episode-632-the-chicken-tax

These actually work pretty well for grooming a dog.

My back deck was at one point the premiere place to get a mohawk. Mostly because we had proper barber’s scissors and clippers hanging around.I did get some haircuts by idiot friends during those parties. But I never let anyone go near me with clippers. I spent too much time straightening out the heinously crooked mohawks they were giving out.

3 Likes

Luckily, lawn darts miss me.

4 Likes

I can’t think of any other haircut you’d do yourself besides one that’s either very short or very long. Either way, there’s bound to be a lot of hair coming off, unless this is something you do weekly or more frequently.

I’ve given myself at least eight mohawks :slight_smile: and I have worn a mohawk cut by a pre-teen girl* several times. The “fauxhawk” (like a mohawk, but with just enough hair outside the roach to prevent head sunburn) is a favorite style of mine.

*The haircut I got at the party was worse, but not by much!

1 Like